Exchange/Volunteer in US or Canadian EMS

krumel

Hi guys,

I'm trying to expand my expierience in prehospital care so I'm searching for a EMS who would let me ride with them for 2 or 3 month.

Why? In Germany many medics look to the north american system with "this is the best of the world". I wanna see myself.

To my c.v.:

20 year old (will be 21 years old soon :) )

German Paramedic (called Rettungsassistent, comparable with the curriculum of the EMT-I) with AHA ACLS Provider certification.

Qualified medical transportation disptacher.

I still don't know if it's still possible with the new homeland security laws and all that stuff. I asked a few people who worked overseas, but that was before 9/11.

Are there any special immigration laws or something to deal with?

I would be very pleased for any help, adresses, etc.

Thanks for now!

Phil

LOOK NORTH.

Try contacting Canadian the consulate, then pick a major service then contact it.

Try Ontario or Alberta or god forbid Nova Scotia...lol. :twisted:

ps bring shnaps! :)

Of course. Should I mention that I have a goood connection to one the best schnaps- distillery in europe:D

I contacted the canadian consulte via phone and mail. on phone they said it would be easier if I have service before I get to them.. Lets see if they answer the same on mail:D

(But hey, who counts on a "we call you back" from a gouverment agency. Damm it, was I surprised... :) )

Of course. Should I mention that I have a goood connection to one the best schnaps- distillery in europe:

Thats because you used the Correct Password!

Shnaps!

I think plenty of Ontario-based services would be happy to host an international observer. Most are run directly by the local municipal government. Your best bet would be to track down a few and send them an email asking if you'd be able to ride out. If your home service can offer them a similar option, I can't see a lot of them who'd say no.

On that note, the place I was going to volunteer dropped me from the list (they dropped everyone, apearently they shut there training program down and no longer needed volunteer instructors) And now that you mention it, any idea if anywhere in Germany would like a medic for a few weeks over the summer? Can't waste much of my own money but I would love to get out around the world again and have some fun. Why bring the schnaps to you when you can go to it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.