PA Medics and Medic Students ..... a question.

Emilea PA C

PA Medics and Students,

Please clue me in on something! I was talking to the medic instructor at the community college and I'm confused re: time frame to complete the curriculum.

The course flyer says 1190 hrs, but this instructor said that there's another 500+ ride along hrs included? Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Also, how much time does the program take? I'm not talking "12 months until completion", basically I'm wondering if I would be able to do the medic program in conjunction with taking college classes?

TIA, Emilea

All paramedic programs in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania require both classroom time, and clinical time. The clinical time involves ride-alongs on the MICU where you get to practice your skills and run the call. This also includes rotations in the hospital ER, ICU, Cath Lab, OR, and other places, depending on the program.

Ok, this is how it works. I'm a PA medic student but intend to work in NJ. Ill get to this in a second.

My program has 545 hours of didactic time (Classroom). We are then required to do a minimum of 372 hours of clinical experiences (ER, OR, OB, Cardiac, ICU, etc). Then we are required to do an additional 240 (PA) to 500 (NJ) hours of street experience. Add it all up, it comes out to 1,417 hours TOTAL for NJ and 1,157 for PA including clinicals in and out of hospital that I am required to have at a MINIMUM. More might be needed for whatever reason. This program takes 13 months Full Time to complete at 3 days a week, 8 hour days; OR Part Time 18 months at 3 days a week 4 hour days. This is all without an Associates Degree. If you want to do the Associates Degree program, its a little more didactic time. You can take college classes in conjunction with the medic class, as long as you are able to handle everything. Sometimes an intense medic program is just as difficult if not more difficult than most "college" classes. This is what I am doing myself, as the A.A.S. option doesn't come out until next year, so I am taking college classes at another school at the same time so that when I am done, I will have my college degree in Paramedicine. Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, let me know!!

Stay safe.

I would strongly suggest not taking any other college classes while you are in paramedic school.

To use my class as an example, we are in class 16 hours a week, 2 eight hour days. (We then have to finish our 40 hour work week..24 hours of work). We are "supposed" to put in 8-16 hours a week of clinical time. Right now we are only doing truck time, which will total several hundred hours. We will also have about 200 ER hours, plus additional time spent in ICU, Cath Lab, maternity, peds, geriatric, and either family practice, or clinic.

Our class started in August, and should end mid-June.

I can't find the state manndated number of hours, but according to school web sites, it is a minimum of 500-600 hours classroom and lab, and 500 hours clinical. Our program, and others nearby have more hours, and also have 80-120 hour internship after that.

I would strongly suggest not taking any other college classes while you are in paramedic school.

And I would strongly suggest not taking paramedic school until you have finished those other college classes.

But I doubt you'll listen to that advice.

I cant help you out as far as what programs offer what but I would strongly suggest not to take college course while you are in a paramedic program. You need to focus on the medic program 110%. It would be very difficult to focus on a different course as well. It might be a good idea to finish whatever courses you are now before you tackle something else.

Good Luck.