How to get my citizenship in the UK.......

You have very few options, unless you have dual nationality, or family who legally reside in the UK who are in a position to petition on your behalf. Even with the latter, it would probably take several years for you to have permanent resident status. Citizenship itself will take even longer, and will involve you satisfying a minimum of 5 years permanent residency, before you can even apply.

There is no (legal) quick fix for US citizens wanting to move to the UK (as with UK citizens wanting to move to the US) If you don't have a sponsor, in the form of an employer or a family member, it probably isn't going to happen any time soon. Certain professions carry certain privailages, but they have many limitations.

You may want to spend some time in the UK on a tourist visa to feel it out for yourself...

There are a few websites which will help you out if you do a search, but avoid the ones which promise to assist you in "jumping the line"...they are scams.

Here is as good a place to start as any:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

A Friend from canada who lives in london always comes up with the story that most of his canadian friend became citiziens of other european union natiosn and then moved to UK. (As a E.U. citzen you can live and work in all the "old" E.U. countries)

Don't now if it's true, but maybe it helps.

Greetz,

Phil

A Friend from canada who lives in london always comes up with the story that most of his canadian friend became citiziens of other european union natiosn and then moved to UK. (As a E.U. citzen you can live and work in all the "old" E.U. countries)

Don't now if it's true, but maybe it helps.

Greetz,

Phil

That should work. As we move ever closer to a 'United States of Europe', holding a passport of any EU nation allows you to live and work in any other EU nation. To the best of my knowledge the UK has very tough rules regarding gaining citizenship whereas some of the other EU nations may be easier (you may have to learn another language though!)

• 3 months later...

You could mary me ;-)

I got my Social Security number for the US now and I have been reliably informed that once I pass my NREMT-P that as a licensed professional, I will have little problems gaining a work visa now that I have an employer to sponsor me.

I got my Social Security number for the US now

Which can only mean that you are over here already. The form SS-5 (application for a social security card) requires that all foreign workers coming to the US produce their I-94 (arrival-departure record) for inspection, as part of the application process, and prior to receiving their SS #. This can only be stamped upon arrival in the US.

and I have been reliably informed that once I pass my NREMT-P that as a licensed professional, I will have little problems gaining a work visa now that I have an employer to sponsor me.

Licensed professional??? Well that cuts down your choice of State to about four. It’s mostly all certification over here with the exception of (I think) TX, SD, CA, and WY.

That certainly would be Texas and I have a Social Security number but I have never stepped foot on american soil (unless you count the embassy!)

I was going to apply for a TIN but as I am not self employed I got a SS# instead although it is a strange number compared to the ones I have seen as it starts 999 **** ** I am obviously not going to put the full number here! I have spoken to my tutor and colleagues and they have never seen a number starting 999 either.

According to my visa application, being a licensed Paramedic (which I will be when I pass my NREMT-P and submit my application to Texas) will make me eligible for a visa. As my future employer is paying $1000 or so extra for fast track it should only take a couple of weeks. I already passed a background check with mybackgroundcheck.com and I have never been to the US so I shouldn't have any problems with my finger prints.

I couldn't find a state who would reciprocate my UK training so I started from scratch on a fast track course. NREMT have said I might be able to sit my exams in the UK before I travel to the US for my rotations, if not I will just have to do it all in one 3 month long trip! Apparently there is no shortage of Pearson Vue test centres in Texas so I shouldn't have any problems finding an exam!

Somehow I think you are underestimating the hoops you have to jump through for a UK citizen to work in the US. Establishing credit, medical insurance, and accommodation are huge obstacles in themselves, and will take weeks to even get off the ground. Your employer will not pay health insurance to people on temporary work visas, so expect to pay about $800 per month just for that alone. You will be high risk for any credit given to you (no credit history), so again you will be paying top dollar for anything on tick, from a TV to a car.

You say you have to start from scratch, so where will you be working while you are doing your EMT / Medic courses? You cannot work as one until you have the qualification. You cannot stay in the country unless you are working (USCIS check up on this) How long do you reckon it take to go from zero – NREMT-P in Texas?

You may want to look at this, if you haven’t done so already. Can't see anything in regards to fast-tracking.

Canada or Australia would have been waaaaaaaaayyyy easier

Wise words scott and I have taken them on board but please allow me to elaborate further: I am on an accelerated Paramedic programme which means I am doing all my theoretical study by distance learning, I then attend intensive classroom sessions over 4 months and then another 4 months of rotations. This visit to the US is being done in 2-3 trips on a Visa waiver (not strictly allowed but everyone bends the rules!)

Basically, all the theory is done at once with the exams taken in succession one after the other followed by the rotations. So B exams, rotations, I exams, rotations, P exams, rotations in one massive chunk.

I am only being permitted to do this due to my UK qualifications and because I scored 95% on a mock test.

I note your observations about difficulty obtaining credit etc but I am not the only UK citizen to attempt a move to the USA, gaining a visa is actually the easiest hurdle as you note yourself there are also the other problems of moving to a foreign country.

Interestingly enough, if you read one of my other threads I am also considering Australia which will be so much easier as they will completely reciprocate my UK qualifications. However, I am young and want to go to America for a while as well. If it doesn't work out then I will have lost a couple of thousand dollars but it is a learning experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.