IM Vistaril

1EMT-P

Are any of you currently using IM Hydroxyzine ( Vistaril ) if the field for allergic reactions, antianxiety, nausea, pain or vomiting?

Maybe they didn't go over the difference between IM & IV administration when they were in school :P .

:shock:

Not only is Vistaril IM ONLY, it is IM by a very specific technique only!

Not many times in my career that I have found myself refusing a physicians order, but IV Vistaril would be one of those cases.

I'm just wondering, what would happen if you gave vistral through IV without diluting it first? i hope nobody chews me out for this lol because i looked it up and never found anything about what would happen if it was given in anyway except IM. juuuuust wondering :D thanks people

I'm just wondering, what would happen if you gave vistral through IV without diluting it first? i hope nobody chews me out for this lol because i looked it up and never found anything about what would happen if it was given in anyway except IM. juuuuust wondering :D thanks people

Vistaril given IV can cause sever phlebitis (inflammation & possible destruction of the veins) and hemolysis of RBC's (destruction of red blood cells). It has it on the label and most health care workers are drilled; one should NEVER administer it IV.. a big NO NO !

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.