What would you do?

Lithium

I have no problem with this scenario.

I agree with what has already been said.

So long he was of the clear state of mind to function professionally, help is good.

Although I have made plenty of runs on patients who had related medics on scene with them (many even that I knew personally), I have never had one jump in to participate once I arrived. It has always been my experience that once you arrive and take over, they step back and return to their role as family member without question. In fact, when I have been in the position of family member on scene with me Mum or my Oma being transported, I have never attempted or asked to participate. I've just never felt it was my place.

I'd be interested to know if this kind of thing has happened often to others.

On plenty of occasions I have needed to get bystanders/family members to assist in cases. If they happened to be a trained medic then I can only see that as a bonus. I was once responded code 1 to a possible cardiac arrest and I noticed the address was my grandmothers house, what was I going to do? not respond because it was my grandmother? I attended the case, done what could be done and called it, the hard part was after when I had to go and tell my mother. We deal with these situations all the time so we are obviously going to handle it better when it happens to someone we know. When there is nothing left to do we can become humans again and deal with it like anybody else. Just my thoughts anyway :)

Although I have made plenty of runs on patients who had related medics on scene with them (many even that I knew personally), I have never had one jump in to participate once I arrived. It has always been my experience that once you arrive and take over, they step back and return to their role as family member without question. In fact, when I have been in the position of family member on scene with me Mum or my Oma being transported, I have never attempted or asked to participate. I've just never felt it was my place.

I'd be interested to know if this kind of thing has happened often to others.

I have done many medical calls where the patient was a family member of one of our medics and you are right, they have all stepped aside and for the most part just held their hand or something. I would probably do the same thing if it was one of my family members. Just be supportive.

For some reason I think I would feel differently if it was an arrest. I don't think I would be able to just sit and watch I would need to be actively participating in the ressuscitation.

I don't have a problem with off duty providers assisting with the care of family members as long as they are calm and can think clearly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.