Help with practical stations....

Emilea PA C

Fair enough Brian! Good luck Emilea, I hope it goes well for you. Just remember to commit to becoming a lifelong learner and you won't go far wrong. There is a huge array of talent and knowledge on this site and you are lucky to be in an EMS generation where your free and unlimited access to it! Please remember though just because one, some or all on this site or text book or instructor says it, does not make it so! EMS is full of grey areas and you need to be comfortable in this arena if you want to excel. Knowledge is power and while you will have rules to follow don't ever stop questioning them in the quest for a better way.

Sorry I'll get off the soap box now :D

I believe it's Dust that always says (maybe it's Rid....maybe it's someone completely different) .... you can't learn this whole profession in 120 hrs of night school! It just doesn't happen...

Plus 5 for taking that to heart. You will certainly hear it from many more people than myself here. Truth is embraced by the masses.

I'm more interested in filling in the evaluator's boxes so that I can start field work are really learn some skills!

Darn. Just when I was beginning to have faith in you. For the last time....

• . And I do mean LEARNING assessment, not just memorising checklists and having no understanding of the process or the findings. Until you master this skill, every other skill in medicine is completely useless to you and your patients. If you take this one point to heart and make it your personal educational philosophy, you will be light years above your peers in short order. And you will have the respect of those who really matter. Like me. :D

EDIT: Plus 5 to Ozzy for his last post. Great minds think alike! :wink:

Emilea,

I had my practicals around the middle of December so they are still fresh in my mind. You got pretty much everything down. One thing to always keep in mind is something that was already posted and that is to learn assessment. That is going to be the biggest and best thing for you to hone for both the testing and out in the field. There have been a few changes as of late, whether they are just for the region I'm in or they are state-wide I'm not sure on but please feel free to email me directly at Bill.Fair@harley-davidson.com. I'll give you a few pointers on the practicals and more detailed info.

Bill

With the skill stations during NR testing thinking is absolutely counterproductive!

The scenarios are set up to run EXACTLY the way your skill sheets do. Recognize which sheet matches the scenario, run down the sheet like an automaton, pause when you're finished to make sure you didn't miss any critical fails, announce that you're finished and move on. (Know your critical fails)

It seems to me that the people that had issues attempted to analyze the situation and apply logic. NR skill testing abhors logic!! They want to know if you memorized the sheet and if you can regurgitate it while someone is staring at/timing you...that's all.

Probably more important is to remember that 10 minutes might as well be all day! There is no hurry, they don't judge you on efficiency, grace, economy of motion, they just want you to pass or fail so they can go home. You start out passing, it's up to you to give them a PROVEN reason to fail you.

Listen to emsbrian. I left there thinking "what an idiot! I got all lathered up about this and I could teach my son to pass it in a week"

I was nervous I was going to miss the 'trick' they slipped in. No tricks, nothing complicated, recite your skill sheets and go home.

The real test, if the 'counsel of elders' is to be believed, is when you decide if being good enough to pass NR is as good as you want to be. I'm hoping not....

Good luck!

Dwayne

• 2 weeks later...
My advice in the thread IS STRICTLY NREMT PRACTICAL EXAM ADVICE.

I just have to put in a second here. Our class eat, lived, and breathed the sheets from the NREMT. I also recorded myself asking the questions, and would listen to it back and forth between classes (I had a good drive to school). It was here on this board that someone had mentioned if all you have is a teddy bear to practice practicals on...use it!!! LOL. (and yes, i did. ha!)

Best wishes!! :|