Cribbing The Airway

dropdeded

Well since I disagree with you on almost every counterpoint you make, i wont address each one save to say that I have used a earlier version of this device which was not as refined as the current marketed model and it does with ease most of the things you say a OPA does. An OPA offers no substantial protection for teeth or soft tissue, like the soft palate. This device which seals itself to the roof of the mouth like a upper denture plate virtually eliminates the concern over broken upper teeth and eliminates the chance of tearing the soft palate or other tissue. The way the side struts fit into the mouth aides in protection of the cheek tissue and the brackets which fit over the bottom teeth do a fair job of protecting them as well. I have no opinion on the light option whatsoever, though i fail to see how too much light obscures the glottal opening, but ok. In any case, I have used the earlier versions of this device, I like it and have even found that in many cases it provides a more secure airway than an OPA. I agree to disagree and respect your educated and experienced opinion.

Since you have used the device or something similar, i am curious to know how it facilitates your BLS skills, such as maintaining the airway, suctioning and ventilation. I perform intubations in the field quite frequently and personally don't think this device would contribute anything positive to how I perform my ALS duties. I would also like to know if it is less, equal to, or more effective than the standard OPA when performing BLS tasks and if it is easy to use.

To answer your question about how excess light obscures the glottic opening.... The laryngoscope is an effective tool because it allows you to manipulate the airway and also delivers light directly on the area you need to visualise. The idea that more light wold be more effective is fals though and if you had ever tried to intubate someone underneath the bright sun out in the open you would know why. frankly you need the light on the cords and nowhere else.

I have used a earlier version of this device which was not as refined as the current marketed model and it does with ease most of the things you say a OPA does.

How is this possible? http://www.cchd.org/ems/documents/download..._06_jun_min.pdf

According to the developer, there is no historically similar device to compare to. Perhaps you could enlighten us, please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.