Most awkward/weird place for a call?

danieljones87

Now hammerpcp, why did you feel the need to criticize the American people at large just because you disagreed with what I quoted. I have yet to hear of this, from "any provider", but if you guys say you have heard this little story then I am not going to try and disprove you. All I was doing was placing one of my most memorable calls on a message board, if I had known that it was going to illicit such a negative response from this community, I never would have posted it.

This call was "silly, stupid' and funny" all rolled into one. I am quite sure that drugs were involved with regards to this individual and her little exhibition. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson from this experience, but then again according to hammperpcp, "Americans a have diminished cerebral function".

Guess that's why we have so many individuals who are involved in EMS, guess that :oops: "diminished cerebral function" :oops: just doesn't allow us to hold any other type of position other than that of low-paying EMS providers.

You forgot to mention low-training, low-professionalism, low-hemoglobin.

What is your malfunction?? Do you just hate the American people, or are you just naturally a smart-ass? I joined this community to talk with other EMS providers, not to be slammed because one provider thinks his or her country's EMS system is better. I pride myself on my professionalism and the continous training that myself and my fellow American EMS workers have to have. Aside from your kindergarten-like comments, what have I or any other American provider done to you.

You don't know anything about me, you don't know anything about the EMS system that trained me, nor do you know anything about the EMS system that I currently work for. While no one system is perfect, the current EMS system I work for holds it's employee's to a higher standard than most. We constantly train, for any number of incidents that we may respond to.

I don't know why you feel the need to criticize fellow EMS providers, but if that's how you get your rocks off, if that's what makes you feel better, then go ahead. I have nothing more to say to you on this subject.

Anybody ever notice how most threads on this site usually end up this way? Someone will misspell (a commonly misspelled word) something or exaggerate a story just a little bit (i.e. "drive like crazy"), which someone else will reply to with something along the lines of "Learn to type because if you can't spell, you don't belong in EMS", or "If you did this one thing or acted this one way which could be possibly borderline irresponsible, you have no respect for the thousands of others doing the same job and are making them look bad". One of these comments is almost always followed by three or four other people coming to the defense of the original poster (who will rarely look through that particular thread to see if anyone responded to his post), which will cause another rebuttal from the original critic of the post and usually some of his or her friends. This will all inevitably lead to a posting war between the Stick-Up-The-Butt Professionals who take things way too seriously and need to take a well-deserved vacation where they could possibly even get a massage, against the Laid-Back-Hippies who are responsible for most preventable deaths and accidents in the field due to their lackadaisical ways of driving a few mph over mandated speed limit when conditions are favorable and someone bleeding out in the back. That is the end of my rant, so now I will sit back, eat some popcorn and chuckle while I watch as my post is agreed with by some and torn apart by others, all leading to another post war which will eventually cause the two divided sides of the fight this site forever to start their own EMS Websites, and leaving EMTCity to people like me who just want to talk about different aspects of the profession we have all chosen to devote ourselves to (partially or wholly), where we will flourish and prosper in our argument-free discussion threads. And now for the misspelled word of the post: SEPERATE!! The post has ended. Draw your swords.

:D ~~well said~~

Sigh.

Questionable source, sensible and essentially TRUE answer

"Dear Cecil:

As a professional sex educator and sex writer, I thought I'd mention a few minor sticking points in your recent column about vaginal foreign bodies. I have gotten the "can't things get stuck up there?" question quite frequently, often from young women who are afraid of irrevocably losing a tampon inside themselves, so I've answered the general question a time or six thousand myself.

In your answer, you overlooked two things. The most important is that in fact it's quite difficult for something to get "lost" or "stuck" in the vagina. The main reason is that the woman was too damned squeamish to stick a finger or two up her own coochie and pull it out. The vagina, as you undoubtedly know, man of the world that you are, is a cul-de-sac, not a thoroughfare. The os, the opening that runs between the vagina and the uterus through the cervix, is extremely narrow--in its normal state, about as wide as a pencil lead. Generally speaking, objects inserted into the vagina cannot fit through the os and get into the cervix or uterus (to insert objects into the uterus, like IUDs, the cervix and os have to be manually dilated or opened).

Therefore, what we're talking about is, if you'll forgive the analogy, something like a pocket with a hole the size of a pencil lead in the bottom of it. Loose change is not going to fall through that tiny hole and get lost down your pants leg. Neither are sex toys, tampons, marbles, candles, tubes of lip gloss, hairbrush handles, fruits and vegetables, or any of the other myriad things people frequently stick in their vaginas in the spirit of exploration or eroticism.

Any object that does go in but doesn't seem to want to come back out can be retrieved by simply reaching in with a finger or two and gently tugging it out (a woman can do this herself or have a partner do it for her). If that doesn't work, as sometimes happens with large objects that are hard to get a grip on, it's likely because the woman is afraid or tense and is reflexively tightening the pubococcygeal muscles, effectively narrowing the vaginal opening. The solution is to squat and bear down and push it out, just as if one were straining with a bowel movement. One can also use a finger or two to help direct the object out of the vagina while doing this. It might be a little uncomfortable, but in this case, the corollary to "what goes up must come down" is "what went in can certainly come out again."

If a woman has inserted an object while masturbating and finds it difficult to remove after she has orgasmed, it usually helps to wait 15-20 minutes for all of the tissues to indilate before trying again to remove it. Vasocongestion during arousal causes swelling of many portions of the vulva, including the entrance to the vagina. Once that blood has had a chance to drain and the tissues have gone back to normal, it'll be easier to remove the object. (Relax. Read a few Straight Dope columns. It's not going anywhere, I promise. Then try again.)

So, basically, there's no good reason that a woman would EVER need to make an embarrassing visit to the ER for most types of objects people commonly insert into their own vaginas.

There are two cases where an ER visit is warranted, though. If a woman has got something sharp up there, or something that has broken (don't be stupid: light bulbs and fragile glass and plastic objects are not good sex toys!) or which has already caused an injury, the ER is the best bet. Same goes if she has been sexually assaulted with an object that has been left inside her vagina: medical intervention is the best bet, not only for safe extraction of the object but for documentation of the assault.

The second thing I wanted to mention in regard to your things-stuck-up-the-hoochie column is that not all the objects you mentioned are actually stuck up the hoochie at all. IUDs, particularly, are inserted via the vagina, but actually are inserted into the uterus (as I mentioned above). The uterus is not the vagina, it's a separate organ. And, as I mentioned, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to insert something into the uterus than it is to insert something into the vagina. I daresay that no one is likely to manage to insert an object into their uterus accidentally--the undilated os simply won't accommodate it.

IUDs are inserted by health care professionals who dilate the cervix to do it. One is supposed to check for the string periodically to make sure the placement is still correct. But sometimes the string (a tiny bit of monofilament thread usually) gets retracted back into the os so that it can't be felt by inserting a finger into

the vagina and touching the cervix at the os. I dare say that doesn't count as a "lost" object, even so. Provided both the woman and her health care provider(s) remember that an IUD was inserted, they can still arrange to keep track of it and make sure it's still doing its job and not causing problems. And even if it were "lost," there's not far for it to go. A "lost" IUD can't exactly go drifting around the body like the Flying Dalkon Dutchman, it's going to stay inside the uterus."

As far as your story about the woman having an orgasm goes...........have you ever had sex with a woman? It's going to take more then a violently vibrating gear shift with eighteen fire monkeys and a couple EMT's standing around gawking to do the trick.

You are either a liar or a complete friggin moron who works with a bunch of complete friggin morons, and had a very clever and intuitive (perhaps a little sexually perverse) psych pt on your hands. To reiterate, I call bullsh*t on your story.

Sigh.

Questionable source, sensible and essentially TRUE answer

"Dear Cecil:

As a professional sex educator and sex writer, I thought I'd mention a few minor sticking points in your recent column about vaginal foreign bodies. I have gotten the "can't things get stuck up there?" question quite frequently, often from young women who are afraid of irrevocably losing a tampon inside themselves, so I've answered the general question a time or six thousand myself.

In your answer, you overlooked two things. The most important is that in fact it's quite difficult for something to get "lost" or "stuck" in the vagina. The main reason is that the woman was too damned squeamish to stick a finger or two up her own coochie and pull it out. The vagina, as you undoubtedly know, man of the world that you are, is a cul-de-sac, not a thoroughfare. The os, the opening that runs between the vagina and the uterus through the cervix, is extremely narrow--in its normal state, about as wide as a pencil lead. Generally speaking, objects inserted into the vagina cannot fit through the os and get into the cervix or uterus (to insert objects into the uterus, like IUDs, the cervix and os have to be manually dilated or opened).

Therefore, what we're talking about is, if you'll forgive the analogy, something like a pocket with a hole the size of a pencil lead in the bottom of it. Loose change is not going to fall through that tiny hole and get lost down your pants leg. Neither are sex toys, tampons, marbles, candles, tubes of lip gloss, hairbrush handles, fruits and vegetables, or any of the other myriad things people frequently stick in their vaginas in the spirit of exploration or eroticism.

Any object that does go in but doesn't seem to want to come back out can be retrieved by simply reaching in with a finger or two and gently tugging it out (a woman can do this herself or have a partner do it for her). If that doesn't work, as sometimes happens with large objects that are hard to get a grip on, it's likely because the woman is afraid or tense and is reflexively tightening the pubococcygeal muscles, effectively narrowing the vaginal opening. The solution is to squat and bear down and push it out, just as if one were straining with a bowel movement. One can also use a finger or two to help direct the object out of the vagina while doing this. It might be a little uncomfortable, but in this case, the corollary to "what goes up must come down" is "what went in can certainly come out again."

If a woman has inserted an object while masturbating and finds it difficult to remove after she has orgasmed, it usually helps to wait 15-20 minutes for all of the tissues to indilate before trying again to remove it. Vasocongestion during arousal causes swelling of many portions of the vulva, including the entrance to the vagina. Once that blood has had a chance to drain and the tissues have gone back to normal, it'll be easier to remove the object. (Relax. Read a few Straight Dope columns. It's not going anywhere, I promise. Then try again.)

So, basically, there's no good reason that a woman would EVER need to make an embarrassing visit to the ER for most types of objects people commonly insert into their own vaginas.

There are two cases where an ER visit is warranted, though. If a woman has got something sharp up there, or something that has broken (don't be stupid: light bulbs and fragile glass and plastic objects are not good sex toys!) or which has already caused an injury, the ER is the best bet. Same goes if she has been sexually assaulted with an object that has been left inside her vagina: medical intervention is the best bet, not only for safe extraction of the object but for documentation of the assault.

The second thing I wanted to mention in regard to your things-stuck-up-the-hoochie column is that not all the objects you mentioned are actually stuck up the hoochie at all. IUDs, particularly, are inserted via the vagina, but actually are inserted into the uterus (as I mentioned above). The uterus is not the vagina, it's a separate organ. And, as I mentioned, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to insert something into the uterus than it is to insert something into the vagina. I daresay that no one is likely to manage to insert an object into their uterus accidentally--the undilated os simply won't accommodate it.

IUDs are inserted by health care professionals who dilate the cervix to do it. One is supposed to check for the string periodically to make sure the placement is still correct. But sometimes the string (a tiny bit of monofilament thread usually) gets retracted back into the os so that it can't be felt by inserting a finger into

the vagina and touching the cervix at the os. I dare say that doesn't count as a "lost" object, even so. Provided both the woman and her health care provider(s) remember that an IUD was inserted, they can still arrange to keep track of it and make sure it's still doing its job and not causing problems. And even if it were "lost," there's not far for it to go. A "lost" IUD can't exactly go drifting around the body like the Flying Dalkon Dutchman, it's going to stay inside the uterus."

As far as your story about the woman having an orgasm goes...........have you ever had sex with a woman? It's going to take more then a violently vibrating gear shift with eighteen fire monkeys and a couple EMT's standing around gawking to do the trick.

You are either a liar or a complete friggin moron who works with a bunch of complete friggin morons, and had a very clever and intuitive (perhaps a little sexually perverse) psych pt on your hands. To reiterate, I call bullsh*t on your story.

Go on, tell us how you really feel.

Like I stated in my post, I am rather sure that drugs played a part in this little fiasco. As far as the orgasm comment "that is what SHE (the pt.) told us". Now whether or not she had one, I don't know and frankly I don't give a flying f*ck!! All I know is that up until that time we had NEVER encountered this type of response, so EVERYONE on scene was quite unsure of what to do with regards to the well being of the patient. Maybe she was sexually perverse and just craved the attention, again I don't know and I don't really care.

However since we were unfamiliar with this type of situtation and since we are not permitted to remove any type of foreign body regardless of the type of foreign object it is or where on the body or in this case in the body the penetration occured, medical control was informed and the physician on the other end of the phone informed us to "cut it" and transport her and the foreign body to the hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

This incident also occured 9 or so f*cking years ago, when I first got involved in EMS. I was a Basic, and this type of medical / trauma emergency was not taught to us. So maybe that will make you get off my case about it.

However, if you still feel opiniated about this whole post and you still want to call it bulls*it, then that's your opnion. But you know what they say...."Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one"

Frankly I don't care about yours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.