Worse OD I have ever seen.

medic53226

...I'm sorry for the grammar, and this is my last topic and reply.

So, are you going to work on your problem, or just hide from it?

Medicine is not for the meek or the sensitive.

Worst OD I've ever had was dead. Can't get any worse for the patient than that.

Cheers.

Nope...I disagree!

The worse by far is brain dead, trached, feeding tubes +++ and with loved ones visting the institutions for years.

Cheers...hey thats mine @#&^%$!

Chad, tomorrow is new day.

medic53226, don't quit posting. This is an invaluable site where you can learn a lot of different things. One thing I might suggest is to break up your post into several lines, instead of a solid block. I understood what you were saying- it just took me a little while to process and figure it out.

So, the gist of it is, your patient took a CRAPLOAD of drugs. You didn't realize the quantity or the spectrum of said overdose until a while in. This is the worst overdose you've ever seen.

You administered narcan, your patient woke up and threw up everywhere, while becoming extremely violent and combative. You and the doc were astounded at the magnitude of the overdose.

So now you want to know, has anyone else ever seen a patient take this much crud, react in this way, and if so, how did the medics treat said patient? Tips and ideas for future massive overdoses?

Personally, the worst overdose I've seen was dead. End of story. But I have heard of some crazy ones that got really combative. Don't know how one would take care of this; as a basic, all I can do is hand the medic things, bag the patient, take vitals or drive.

Thoughts from our upper echelon here? How would one take care of such a massive overdose? Is liquid charcoal contraindicated here?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B