Red Cross Experiences

echo-000

Has anyone ever worked/volunteered for the Red Cross as a phlebotomist? If so, what was your experience like? I donated yesterday at a drive and it seems to me that many of the workers were EMTs. Don't you think the work would be pretty easy, taking blood all day, dealing with a few fainters or pukers?

I was a volunteer for the disaster Action team for a while. I got my medics license and tried to move into the phlebotomy area of their services and they sort of said, Oh a medic, you can't work here drawing blood. So I said why and they said that Medics were in essence not good enough. I tried to argue that fact and also point out the fact that the ER I was working in we were the blood drawers for the entire small 56 bed hospital on the night shift unless we were running a call. They still wouldn't budge so I said the hell with them and left their services all together.

Are there nation-wide variances in the qualifications of paramedics drawing blood?

I ask, because the requirement seems to be a national one. I can't see a national organization leaving it up to local chapters (of varying competancies) to determine who qualifies on case by case basis. They have to have some kind of national standard to maintain quality control.

Or am I just being too optimistic about them here?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.