Smelling Salts

Timmy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Mr Hijacker: What difference does it make about testing nerves?What are you going to do with the results of your nerve test? The BEST nerve NOT to test is your more senior partner's NERVE by wanting useless information like that neither back at your station or "prehospitally"

Ok, I need to hijack this post for a few replies. How exactly is the best way to test out a patiens cranel nerves (specificially I, VII, and IX) prehospitally?

From Essentials of Paramedic Care Canadian Edition Volume 1:

CN I (olfactory)

- have the pt identify a variety of common odours (eyes closed, one nostril at a time)

CN VII (facial)

- assess the pt's face at rest and during conversation (note anything abnormal)

- have the pt try a variety of facial expressions (have the pt puff out their cheeks, raise their eyebrows, frown, show the upper and lower teeth, smile)

- have the pt close their eyes as tightly as possible so you won't be able to open them (try to)

CN IX (glossopharyngeal)

- tested along with the vagus

- listen to the pt's voice (listen for hoarseness, a nasal quality, or anything abnormal)

- have the pt swallow (note any difficulties)

- have the pt open their mouth and say "ahhh" (watch for the soft palate and uvula to rise symmetrically)

- test the gag reflex with a tongue blade on the posterior tongue

OK Mr Hijacker: What difference does it make about testing nerves?What are you going to do with the results of your nerve test? The BEST nerve NOT to test is your more senior partner's NERVE by wanting useless information like that neither back at your station or "prehospitally"

Gosh, maybe I'm just trying to connect stuff I'm learning in class (in this case Neurobiology lab) with my job. Applying my edumacation to my field work is better then just standing around with my thumb up my butt.

side note: I don't work with a paramedic, and with my company's turnover rate, I'm pretty senior as it is.

Ok, I need to hijack this post for a few replies. How exactly is the best way to test out a patiens cranel nerves (specificially I, VII, and IX) prehospitally?

Better yet, start a new thread....................................................................

The Brits use paracetamol? I picked up the use of paracetamol while in Central and South America, but have recently found that it is also the term in much of Asia. The Indians, Pakis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, and all those other guys call it paracetamol too.

the Philippines, too. i was upset to not find it here in the USA. :?

ibuprofen has a few different names as well.

So when do you use smelling salts versus painful response? When I deal with an ETOH I usually use a sternal rub. When I was doing rotations in the hospital I saw the nurses use ammonia inhalents on the drunks and they would respond in a similar way to a good 'ole rub on the sternum.

Smelling salts are not used often in Australia. There main purpose was to ‘arouse’ a semi conscious casualty. Typical stereotype would be back in the old days the football trainers would run out to an unconscious casualty place smelling salts under there nose and sponge them down with a bucket of water and a towel, 5 minutes later the player would be out running around again.

Is TYLENOL the brand name in America?

I though Paracetamol was the actual drug name? In Australia Panadol and nuerophen are the most common ‘analgesic brand names’.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.