Smaller sized duty gear?

Riblett

Wow, thank you all so much. I am starting with the uniform jackets Erica found with Galls. I am glad to know that I am not the only person who has this problem. I will keep you posted with what I find.

For as much as us in EMS are taught about the adverse health effects of being overweight, the rampant onset of heart disease in middle aged women, and the fact that we see them everyday, one would think that we would take heed. However, it is sad to say that there are probably hundreds or even thousands of women in EMS who actually wear a men's size large or extra large. This has become the norm. Supply and demand=few normal sized EMTs/Medics, few normal sized uniform apparel for the rest of us.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thank you all so much. I am starting with the uniform jackets Erica found with Galls. I am glad to know that I am not the only person who has this problem. I will keep you posted with what I find.

How did it go? The Gerber I got was gorgeous, but HUGE. It's as big or maybe bigger as the mediums that one of my units lends us.

Anyone need a nice EMS coat?

For as much as us in EMS are taught about the adverse health effects of being overweight, the rampant onset of heart disease in middle aged women, and the fact that we see them everyday, one would think that we would take heed. However, it is sad to say that there are probably hundreds or even thousands of women in EMS who actually wear a men's size large or extra large. This has become the norm. Supply and demand=few normal sized EMTs/Medics, few normal sized uniform apparel for the rest of us.

Well, you're not winning any friends in EMS with that attitude. Except for guys. :laughing6:

Next I suppose you'll want us to quit smoking and driving drunk too?

What exactly is "normal"?

My normal is XL shirts and whatever size pants I can find that fits. I have no muscle tone in my stomach (too many surgeries) which causes me to have to buy larger pants for comfort in the waistband and have the rest tailored to fit. Many of your EMT's will fall into the size L-XL range because of the way the clothing is cut, and in EMS, it is a rarity for many if you can actually find clothing true to size. I find it important to find clothing that fits, no matter what the label might read.

Now, if you are talking about being overweight and in EMS, that's reserved for another thread. Perhaps it would be helpful to have a forum dedicated to EMS excersise and fitness?

I have always felt it oxymoronic for any kind of healthcare professional to be way out of shape. Not only is it bad for appearing "professional" but can also impair ability to do the job. This is why I do not smoke in public in uniform. (trying to quit again)

Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

If there were enough women with waists under 40 inches in EMS, the manufacturers would crank them out accordingly.

Unfortunately, those women are about as common as BLS saves and military intelligence.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.