US Response Times?

Likewise in Lake-Sumter we run 10-18 to everything , which i highly disagree with personally. However, effective 11-01-06 we will be switching to priority medical dispatch in which the calls will be triaged at the call center and dispatched appropriately. This dispatch system for those who don't know will also decrease unnecessary radio traffic as well, as the calls will be labeled with a numerical sign followed byAlpha, Bravo Charlie and Delta with Delta being the high priority level calls, then followed by another numerical value indicating how severe the call may be. For instance a 29D4 represents a MVC with entrapment. This system will by far be better than running Code 3 to every stumped toe in central Florida.

take care,

Todd

However, This dispatch system for those who don't know will also decrease unnecessary radio traffic as well, as the calls will be labeled with a numerical sign followed byAlpha, Bravo Charlie and Delta with Delta being the high priority level calls, then followed by another numerical value indicating how severe the call may be. For instance a 29D4 represents a MVC with entrapment. This system will by far be better than running Code 3 to every stumped toe in central Florida.

take care,

Todd

I thought the whole premise of the NIMS courses was to do away with Local codes and return to normal english. What is wrong with dispatch triaging and dispatching accordingly, routine or emergent traffic?

All I can tell you is our BLS ambulances that respond to all 911 calls (with ALS fire department squads arriving separately and usually 1 - 2 min sooner) must arrive withing 8 minutes to every call or file an incident report explaining delay. If dispatcher knows you're close to the location, they'll ask for your location or ETA anytime they feel you should have been there already.

Some good points raised so far. We are switching to yet another priority based system on the 24th of this month which will see (hopefully) our workload drop. No longer will we be obligated to attend every 999 call. Our call takers will be triaging as usual but much more in depth. Any call identified as suitable for referral to other pathways, will be.....be it dentist, GP, Emergency Care Practitioners or even telling the punter to make their own way to hospital/ get a lift from friend or family. It seems we are heading back to being an Emergency Service, not a general health/ social service.

I thought the whole premise of the NIMS courses was to do away with Local codes and return to normal english. What is wrong with dispatch triaging and dispatching accordingly, routine or emergent traffic?

NIMS was never ment to address dispatching procededures. ANd sincer the dispatch code is related to that and not normal communications, it is a gray area.

Some agencies, like mine, simply tell you if its an Alpha, etc to help you know if it is a code response. If we want more specific info then the full code is on our MDT information and we can look at it enroute...although most of us never bother. Otherthings to deal with, like mapping, driving, and wathcing for traffic. SO the basic C/C, hazards, safety info is plenty.

Other agencies do put out the full EMD code so you can look it up...but most medics I have talked too in those systems dotn bother, concerned with other things like..well...like mapping, driving, and wathcing for traffic. So once again the the basic infor on C/C, hazards, safety info is plenty.

Hey, Bassnmedic - like Niftymedic said, we run hot to every call regardless of c/c or priority. Like your service, we are set to go to priority dispatching, but not until January or February of 07. I would be very interested in how it goes for you guys since you will be instituting priority dispatch before us. Its gotta be better than L&S to everything!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.