How to get started?

Hello,

I am a Paramedic that works for a EMS private 911 ambulance agency in the western United states. I am very interested in pursuing a tactical EMS career and i was wondering how to go about that. i have done some research and found some training programs i am interested but still have some questions.

Are there any programs that you know of in California or Nevada that i am able to attend. i have NO previous tactical,Police, Law,military expierence, nor do i have any tactical gear....currently.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

-Paramagic14

It's all been pretty well covered here multiple times. This is a pretty small forum, so if you haven't already found your answer in the topics below, you should. The bottom line is, your chances are slim to none. Like flight medics, there is damn little opportunity compared to the billions who want to do it. Even worse than flight medics. And, like flight medics, most people want the job for the wrong reasons. What are your reasons?

Very few teams utilise non-sworn personnel. The ones that do are mostly rinky-dink small town teams that I wouldn't trust my life too. If you are not CONSTANTLY training (as in FULL TIME JOB), then you are of no help. You are a detriment.

How many teams do you think make so many tactical incidents that they can actually justify a medic? It's not like television. These things are few and far between.

Tactical medicine in the civilian sector is vastly overrated and over-glorified (which is exactly why so many people think they want in). In fact, a good argument can be made that it is almost useless.

Sorry if this reply isn't as encouraging as the one I gave last time I answered this question. I guess I'm becoming cynical in my old age.

Good luck!

Well in response to paramagic14 I can understand why most people would want to do it...I mean pretty much its to wear the ninja or jungle uniform and casually mention that you are part of a tactical team. There really isn't anything wrong with that...thats why police officers join a tactical team...they want the adrenaline rush and the prestige that comes with the title.

But there are a ton of "tactical" medics out there....if you are not already a police officer you will not have a weapon...so you will not be entering a building...you will be out on the perimeter staging until called upon (the famous "Medic Up!"). If you wanted to assist a big city....they use MD's as their tactical medics (check out Dallas SWAT tv show). Perhaps you could find a small town that will work with you..you would kinda assist each other. They could puff their chest out and say that they have a tactical team [-o< with a medic and all!

As far as taking a course...it couldn't hurt. I say that any education is beneficial and something you learn in EMT-T ( a lot of scene safety - GSW treatments) could help you in a typical civilian situation. You could find a course for anywhere between $400 - $950 and they are everywhere. The only one you couldn't take is CONTOMS (need law efforcement association). Just google "tactical medic" and you'll find something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.