NIMS 100, 200, 700

That really depends on what agency in NJ. They would like you to take the in class course but a lot places in NJ still accept the online.

Devin

Negative, from both my squad and dept. they have both said the state will not accept the online training. Its not an agency issue.

• 1 month later...

I nearly got kicked out of NIMS class when they started referring to 'task forces' and 'strike teams'. Ooooh, ooooh, I want to be part of "Task Force Autobots"! Once you find something funny, its hard not to laugh.

I have to agree with most of the posters so far as to the boredom that these NIMS classes induce either online or in the classroom. To answer part of the original poster's question as to what NIMS is, NIMS began with wildland fire service way prior to 9/11 as a type of incident management. 9/11 has caused compliance as one of the other posters as already mentioned. Personally, I think it is a huge waste of time and is extremely boring, however on the flip side I also believe that it is a step in the right direction in attempting to put all agencies on the same page so to speak when on large scale incidents. Just my thoughts.

take care,

Todd

To be eligible for FEMA grants and government funding of any kind you must be compliant with the national FEMA ICS and NIMS/NRP training requirements. Through fiscal year (FY) 2006- which ended on September 30th- all personnel that are likely to respond to an MCI or incident of national signifigance must be certified to the current requirements of ICS 100, 200 and NIMS/NRP 700, 800. Please note the 800 as most agencies don't believe that we are required to meet that yet, but per the FEMA address to the State Governors, it is. So if you are on a county EMS system, fire department, or apply for grants, you better get your certs soon, they are past due.

I nearly got kicked out of NIMS class when they started referring to 'task forces' and 'strike teams'. Ooooh, ooooh, I want to be part of "Task Force Autobots"! Once you find something funny, its hard not to laugh.

If you about got kicked out then your instructor needs to work on classroom tactics. Not to discredit them, but as an instructor, I use humor as much as possible when hosting ics 100, 200 etc. Mainly because everybody is right, IT'S VERY DRY AND BORING. But in defense of ics and nims, the concept really works and not only for extremely large incidents but for small events as well. Good luck to all and dont give the instructors too much crap. LOL

For my EMT-I class we have to take 100, 200, 700, and 800 and then there was one for extra credit 346

Anyhow what I would suggest at least for 100 & 200 if print out the test questions, print out the summary and start from there, reading those 100 pages online will burn your eyes out first of all and second it takes like 3+ hours which you could get throught the summary and test in an hour or so. 700 & 800 are different. I know that our EMT book also covers a good deal of the info you;ll find in 100 & 200.