My First 911 Job

I accepted my first job offer in 911. :lol: I'll be working for Fort Bend EMS (just outside of Houston, TX). I've volunteered 911, but I will finally get paid. I am very excited at this opportunity. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to impart upon about Fort Bend or reporting to your first day on the job? I've heard this service has a consistent call volume and should give me good field experience as I continue with my education towards paramedicine.

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts on emtcity, whether I've agreed with them or not. I began visiting this site when I was new to EMS and I will be logging in more than ever for advice and to aid my knowledge base.

Congratulations, Tig! I don't know much about FB, except that it is a county service, which is frequently a good thing. Can't say I've ever heard anything bad about them, at least. Nice area. I'm a little behind on reading here, so I suppose you have already started. How is it going?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not responding Dust, I was doing a search for something and saw someone actually replied to my post!

It's going great. There seems to be typical BS politics-it is a county system-but so far everything's good. I work in the poorer area of the county, so most calls are BS and sick calls. We do occasionally get a good call every now and then (like the CVA we got yelled at for flying). My partner is awesome and most of the paramedics are more than willing to answer questions to help me learn.

Overall I love my job and am excited about starting Paramedic next year.

It's going great. There seems to be typical BS politics-it is a county system-but so far everything's good.

Sweet.

I've encountered more politics in county and hospital based services than in any other types of services. It seems that County Commissioners and Hospital Administrators are cut from the same bureaucratic cloth. Bastards. But both of those types of services typically seem to offer a better service than other types too. I think it will be great experience for you.

Keep us posted! :thumbright:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.