FAILED STATE EXAM TWICE 1 PT.

Hey gang. I haven't posted here since last year because I felt like a sore loser failing the emt-b state exam twice by 1 damn point. :) :oops: I don't understand what happened. I ALWAYS clam up when taking tests, but know the material. Hell I passed the practicals, and written in class with flying colors. Now I'm supposed to take a refresher course, but instead I will take the entire class over again. It's been over a year since I tested in NY. I need some pointers or strategies on test taking skills. I have always got good grades, and remember things, but the tests make me nervous as hell. My 6 kids adds on that too. Yes 6, including a 2 year old that has spastic quadraparesis cerebral palsy and is wheelchair bound. I saved his life, thanks to learning the CPR in class. Anyhow, I'm gonna do it again, this time really try harder and I will start doing ride alongs to really feel the on hands experience and be able to learn as I see. Ya Know. Well it's always good to be back on EMT-City and get feedback thats positive. I'm so excited, because this is what I really want and can't wait to start classes again. On the state exam my weak points were TRAUMA,MEDICAL EMERGENCIES. I know I have to really stay focus with that. :):D

I don't know if it is just the written that is causing you problems or the practical too. If it's the practical part then my advise would be to practise a lot (and I mean a lot lot lot). Although ride alongs are good to see how what you're learning will actually be applied, you'll see how things are done in the field rather than how they probably need to be done for testing. If you do enough practice scenarios or skill stations or whatever you will be tested on then you will be able to do it without even thinking and hopefully the nerves won't be much of an issue. (It's like the whole social facilitation thing... you'll be so good at the practical part that it will become an easy task for you so under the stressful condition of testing you will do as good or better than always... hopefully.) If the practical part was not causing you problems hopefully that might help someone else who finds this thread in the future.

I don't have any advise for the NR since I'm not from the US.

Good luck.

Where did u loose the mark at. State and the National's are alittle different and PICKY. Take your time, breath, get held up on the exam ...back up breath and go for it. It's the little things they get u.

Remember c spine rt off the bat for trauma, strap torso before head, torniguet off, ett never let go, check placement, call for ALS, sceen time set your watch, medication checks,have your kit checked before the senerio...........you not anyone eles, have all your ducks lined up. Little things

Chris

I didn't have trouble with the written or the practical, what I said was I failed the STATE written exam.

Sorry I didn't pay enough attention when reading your post but NR or state the advise is still the same for practical stuff.

I don't know what your NR or state or any exams are like, but what I find helps me on EMS tests is to just think of the questions as if it is a scenario you're about to do and decide what your priorities would be before even looking at the options. (Obviously this advise is for questions about a call rather than just "what is the size of a D tank" or stuff like that.) It may seem like an obvious thing to do, but I think it really helps and can increase your confidence when what you thought of is one of the options below and the other three or four are obviously wrong.

Take all the time they offer, and don't rush. Read the question and choice of awnsers VERY carefully. NY State has changed the format of the exam and the questions/awnsers can be really tricky. One word can mess you up...always start with ABC, regardless what they ask or if it seems they are looking for something really specific. ABC!!!!! Choose your awnser by elimination, circle the #of the question on your booklet, but don't skip it, then go back at the end and read it again. Alot of times you will find awnsers to questions in other questions further into the exam....Good Luck...Don't read into it too much...They have really dumbed it down...

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.