drug calculations

emtkelley

Might want to "perform"search there are many on this nad other forums. The best advice is to study an learn conversions and basic Algebra as much as possible. There is many good text books on Math for Pharmacology as well.

This is one of the better sites that has some good information on pharmacology and math for Paramedics. http://gaems.net/download/drugcalc.pdf

Good luck !

R/r 911

You might already be set, but try out this formula I made for drip-rate calculations. ...And yes, I take full credit for it: call it the "fiznat formula" haha.

(CC/MG * MG) * 60

Thats all you need to know for drip rates!

haha I'll explain.

The first CC/MG is what is in the bag of medication you have. Say you have 100mg Lidocane in a 500 bag of NS. The first part of the equation will be

500cc/100mg

Be sure to use those units.

The second MG is your order. Say your order is 10mg/min. Now your formula looks like this:

(500cc/100mg * 10) * 60

Be sure that this number that you use for order is the actual amount in milligrams AFTER any weight based calculations.

The last 60 is your drip set. Use 60 for a minidrip (60 drop) and 10 for a maxidrip (10 drop) set.

Do the math-- divide, then multiply by 10, then take all that times 60. That is your answer in drops per minute (gtt/min).

CC over MG times MG times 60. Easiest thing to remember ever. Hope that helps! :lol: