Climate Injuries- Hyperthermia/Heat Hyperpyrexia treatment

asy

[

tniuqs,

THANKS for all of your trouble! Please thank your aussie and "hikers" Friends as well.

I don't know, people PAY to get to this place and survivers even say they had a great time.

"SNOW"? I have heard of that phenomenon. They say Inuit has more than a 100 words for it, don't they? Hebrew has 1.

asy gee I am blushing!

Odd you refer to the Inuit, as I too "personally" have more than one word for Snow.

@#$$!^@ !!!!

#@$% ^"@#$ it is cold.

and last but not least $#@&%%@@$&**( in my boot)

I seriously doubt there is a Translation in Hebrew.

#$@% is falling in the mountains as we talk....it is 7 degrees Celsius outside today.

Time to find something warm for my sleeping bag...te he.

cheers

Hey asy,

In Australia it is also very hot. We use instant ice packs on the patients pressure points to help cool the them. Pressure points being under the knees, under the arm pits, back of neck and sometimes depending how bad they are on the grown area. When we do standbys at marathons ect. in the heat the paramedics will sometimes put the IV fluid bag on ice but you must be carefully, sometimes it can send them into shock. We also sometimes use cool down vests which are filled with gel, when put in the freezer for about 30mins are very useful are the stay dry.

Hope This Helps

I am not sure you can call them "grown" areas if you are applying ice to them. 8) But yes these instant ice packs seem to be a good solution since their coolness is caused by an endothermic reaction rather than ambient temperature. I can't imagine that they would last very long in that kind of heat though. Perhaps prevention would be a better strategy. Namely educating the Americans about heat illnesses before they go out trekking.

Rubbing alcohol is NOT recommended as it closes the pores in the skin making it even more difficult for heat to escape the body. The new standard guideline for cooling a patient is using wet sheets and blankets. The idea behind this new concept is to keep patients from getting cold too quickly which can cause shivering and thus generating even more body heat. Even if the wet sheets become warm, they will keep the skin moist, and the pores open. It's also a great deal more comfortable then an ice pack to the groin. I'm not sure how feasible it is to keep wet sheets packed in coolers where you happen to be, however i hope it helps.

Pores don't open and close since there is no musculature sourounding them. The hair can become erect due to the erector pili muscle but that is about it. I know its hard to believe the cosmetic companies have been lying to us all this time.

Asy:

A Camelback is a backpack like device with a bladder inside for holding fluids...preferably drinkable fluids in the form of water. They're pretty popular in certain outdoor circles.

If you're going to wet a sheet and wrap a patient in it, make sure you keep them out of the sun. A wet sheet will allow all sorts of UV rays through. If the patient's not wearing sunscreen they'll burn.

Glad to see you back! Hope all is better and improving in your area.

-be safe.

Asy:

When EMS49393 responded, I took that response and my handouts from class to my Service Director. Director asked if I knew the correct way to treat now. Said yes. then Director contacted the other 4 Basics that had the same instructor over the last five years. Guess what all had the same hand out. I sent EMS49393 a PM thanking him and now the Service is going to have a In Service to make sure no other member had received the same information from that lead instructor who told the director that was what was taught.

I am glad I am part of the City because I do learn

The improvised chairs mentioned in one of the previous post are called rehab chairs distributed through Morning Pride. The concept of forearm immersion has been around for a while, I believe the military has been using it for some time. Studies have shown that immersion of the forearm in cool or tepid water can drop the body temp by approximately 4 degrees F in about 10 minutes. We are waiting for some grant money to purchase them for each of our transport vehicles. I will update when they arrive.

The improvised chairs mentioned in one of the previous post are called rehab chairs distributed through Morning Pride. The concept of forearm immersion has been around for a while, I believe the military has been using it for some time. Studies have shown that immersion of the forearm in cool or tepid water can drop the body temp by approximately 4 degrees F in about 10 minutes. We are waiting for some grant money to purchase them for each of our transport vehicles. I will update when they arrive.

Resqdivemedic: Thank you eh, I was hoping that someone had seen these device besides myself, was beginning to think I saw them in a Hollywood movie or something..... Were you in involved in the studies in New York or the Windy City or did you use them in the military?

Thanks for the heads up, the link is http://www.morningpride.com/products/default.asp?p=5 if anyone wishes to check it out appears that one could improvise with a plastic bag or 2 if one had a boy scout knot "how to tie knots badge"

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.