emt-i

emtb4life

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no justifiable benefit to the intermediate level. It was created so that agencies could have ALS providers without going full paramedic. As a compromised level, everything about it reeks of too many chefs trying to create something that didn't need to be in the first place.

AZ has two different levels of intermediate, the I99 and I85, and both need to be eliminated entirely. For the I85, you take 300 hours of class/clinical, then test to receive the ability to perform all of the add on modules that EMT-B's already are allowed. For the I99, you have to add another 600 hours after the I85. Once this is all done, you can take a paramedic course, spend roughly 1200 hours total and be able to do everything anyway.

Complete waste of time, that no one wants to support. The larger departments want paramedics. The smaller don't want to pay for their basics to go to school in pieces.

Skip it entirely. Unless you have a lot of time and money to waste.

In the spirit of renewed communications, I find myself agreeing completely with AZCEP. While I understand the logic of those who say that emtI is a way to ease into paramedic, I just dont see that as the case. As far as I can see, in the states that recognize Is, the protocols and scopes are virtually identical, though slightly...icant think of the word...lesser...than Ps. If you are going to go I just suck it up and spend the extra hours to become a P. I am, as a Basic, moving into being a hospital based EMTB with the plan of becoming a nurse/paramedic and I have even gone so far as to diagram it all out on paper and cant see where sticking intermediate in there would be of any value whatsoever. I know why agencies like them...they are virtually paramedics, but the agencies can pay them less and still run ALS rigs with them. Again, those agencies should suck it up and hire an actual paramedic. I have heard talk here in IL both that they are revamping protocols for Is and that they are thinking of eliminating them altogether. Most agencies I have run across will have Intermediates if a basic already employed by them gets it but they dont seek to hire them. Of the five private agencies in my area, there are 6 intermediates and most of them are being urged by the agency to get on the stick and go paramedic.

To anyone who I have inadvertantly insulted with some of my past posts, i apologize....as someone who was recently laid off so that my agency could go to all Paramedics, I think i have allowed myself to fall prey to the Basic vs. Paramedics argument and while I know that there are a lot of folks who bang their head against that wall every day, i am not going to continue to be one of them. So to Rid, and Dust and anyone else who I may have unintentionally or intentionally been rude to, I apologize and look forward to learning from your collective experience.

NREMT-Basic. That was a great post and I am glad you can see why the Intermediate is really detrimental to EMS and how agencies can use the Intermediate to provide cheaper ALS. However, I am sorry to hear that you lost your job. I urge you to go on to Paramedic or Nursing, you seem like a very smart person with allot of motivation and you will probably do well in whatever path you choose. While the hospital is very different than EMS field work, I think the ER will allow you to see and learn things that you may not in the field. You will also benefit from having doctors, nurses, and allied health providers around that can be great assets for learning. I wish you the best of luck in your new adventures.

Take care,

chbare.

Wow... I don't know about how any other state runs but here in NH the Intermediate Level is with out question a nessesary and essential part of our EMS system!!! Here in NH we are serviced but not only fire Dept and private ambulance services but also volunteer ambulance services and fast squads. The EMT-I Level is only 180 hr course after the basic has been completed. however in a system that relizes on volunteers and is lacking Medic coverage in the all of our "back woods" towns the Intermediate Can perform some very needed Skills that the basic Can not... including D50 in a Diebetic, Epi SQ in Anaphlaxis, First round cardiac arrest drugs... (epi, atropine) and ET intubation. with Medics being scarce and people not being able to give up the time or money to attend Medic School while still working full time jobs the intermediates in our state provide a great service!!!!

~street~

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.