Nursing student to EMT

gajewel

Wow. I must say...this is definately an opposite position from what I'm used to seeing. Almost everyone I work with goes from being an EMT to a RN. I'm currently in nursing school myself. I have thought of leaving nursing school and sticking with the EMT thing but then I get thinking about everything and I realize, there is just so much more flexibility in becoming an RN. For one, the pay is much better as an RN, and so are the benefits. Secondly, if you decide to have a family, a nursing job is much more stable. Plus, if you think of the future, unless you want to go into administration or training or such, it's very difficult to stay in the field on a bus when you're older. BTW, I'm giving an EMT-B in Jersey view here. Your state might be different. Also, put into play that you already put so many years of schooling past you and that's a lot of tuition money, strife, hard work, etc..... I say continue with it. If you drop outta nursing school for a couple years, there's a good chance other colleges may not accept your credits & you'll have to re-take them & you'll regret it. Good luck with your decision and your career. :-)

You guys can correct me if I am wrong but after 3 years of Nursing school why not take a third option if you are worried about failing the batchlers... Don't you have your assosiates Degree by now? I know Many a nurse that stopped after two years and went into the work force. the only thing the batchlors degree will help with is if you go into managment right? Mabey I am wrong I have not started Nursing school just yet but That is what I understand from the Nurses in my area (New Hampshire).

With that said if that is not the case then I would suggest banging out your last year and not stepping backwards into an EMT class. you will be frustrated at how little they teach you about so many things. (A&P, Proceedures, Meds, Assesment) the EMT Basic level is a valuble and Nessesary tool but as DUST said EMT is not a carreer only a stepping stone for further advancement

good luck with your choice!!

~street~

It doesn't quite work that way. Really, EMS is the only health profession that works where you progress up from one level to the next. In nursing education, you either choose an Associates level program, or you choose a Bachelors level program. You cannot take half of a Bachelors level program and call it an Associates degree. The Associates program is a condensed program, not half of of a Bachelors degree. After two years of an Associates program, you have covered everything, albeit in lesser detail, and are ready to start practising. After two years of a Bachelors program, you are just now starting to get into the actual Nursing core and have little if any clinical exposure.

Look at it this way. There are paramedic schools that last 6 months. There are paramedic schools that last two years. Can a student at the two year school drop out after six months and call himself a Paramedic?

So no, she cannot just quit now and call herself an RN.

I couldn't agree more with the stay in school responses. There is a better future in nursing both economically and professionally. As a senior you are closer to the end than the beginning so stick with it. It is unfortunate that your school is suboptimal but when you graduate and pass the NCLEX you are still an RN with a BSN. Nursing needs more BSN prepared nurses.

Just don't forget the bad experience you had when the college starts sending you requests for donations after you graduate.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Just don't forget the bad experience you had when the college starts sending you requests for donations after you graduate.

LMAO!! :lol: So true!

Amazing how they never can even remember your name for four years, but they sure don't forget your address for the rest of your life after graduation!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.