EMT-B classes just started

Welcome to the city.

I noticed your comments on report writing, let me pass on a little story.

When I started my ER rotations for Para school I was tagged up with an MD that was an excellent teacher as well as a great Doc. We had a patient who was hooking up his boat and smashed his thumb between the hitch and receiver. The Doc had tasked me with writing the charts for all patients we saw along with all the usual history and exams. For this patient I wrote a two paragraph diatribe explaining the entire story from beginning to end. I was very proud of myself when I handed it to the Doc expecting a glorious review on my charting abilities. He read the chart and then promptly tore in two saying it was too wordy. He grabbed another chart and wrote this "Crush injury left thumb." He then explained that we need to keep the charts simple and straightforward, get to the root of the problem and that's it. Lesson learned.

Later after Para school when I applied for a new job I had to meet with the Medical Control Director for the county. Part of his exam was to chart a run as I would in the field. I filled out my fake run sheet and turned it in. Later during the interview portion he pulled out my chart and said it was the best charting by a Paramedic he had seen. I am not passing this story on to brag but to say that the ER Doc was right, always keep it simple and straightforward. Do not over think it and do not put in unnecessary information and you'll do fine.

Planning on it if I can. I heard some people did that last term and are doing very well. I signed up for extra ride times and such to get as much experience as I can.

Im not kidding myself and saying it will be easy. However, If i CAN do it, I will B)

Ride time doesn't really count towards experience toward paramedic school. Take some time and learn the ropes of the job before jumping up to the next level. While the people from the last class may be doing well in school, that doesn't mean that they have their stuff together while enough to function in the street on their own. You want to learn the basics of assessment, scene management, resource alocation, interaction with patients and facility staff...there's far more to learn than what class has to offer. My advice to you is to take some time before you just jump into paramedic school or you may find yourself very overwhelmed rather quickly.

Shane

NREMT-P

I will do my best. Everyone has good advice. From now on im 100% going to keep my reports simple.. Thats a gold nugget in my book. As for being a rookie... A) I am :) and :lol: I just do what the instructers tell me! They said to carry it all on my person because if im asked to do something it will look bad if i have to ask to borrow something from them :X.

As for jumping straight in to para school or waiting... I dont know as of yet. Ill see how the term progresses. <3

Thanks everyone!!!

I finished Emt-B class in July and I started Paramedic school 2 weeks ago. I don't feel overwhelmed yet, I actually feel an advantage in one since, I am so new out of school that its easier for me compared ( those I have talked to) to the ones who have had the EMT-B for years and now are getting back into school, to study and everything is fresh in my head. On the other hand I'm not out working on the squad doing skills every day. The program I am in though has ER, OR, labs, and ride along times throughout that will be helpful.

Good for both of you!

Nobody recommends that doctors take off a couple of years between med school and their internship.

Nobody recommends that we take off a couple of years in between middle school and high school.

See your future. Be your future. Go for it!