Labs and diagnostics

chbare

How comfortable am I with understanding labs and diagnostic studies?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Very comfortable
    • Somewhat comfortable
    • Not comfortable
    • Not important to know
    • Other

Further more to my last post I still have along way to go on this matter but I think it is very important for us to know normal lab values and what they represent. And I am learning allot from my girlfriend who is also a nurse buckeye. I hope to marry her someday. She is actually taking her Primary Care Paramedic course now. She is a smart lady and works CCU so we have allot of cardiac related discussions and get into troponin levels as well as CK's BUNS, Creataine etc.

I am composing a lecture on Lab Values for the Paramedic.. when? I get through, I will post a link for the powerpoint for those interested. This is one of the areas, that we in EMS are definitely lacking in.

Lab, is like part of the physical examination, and the Paramedic should know the main compartments. Knowledge of the numbers is really irrelevant, due to to the diverse numbers per lab,,, but a general knowledge of normal/abnormal and what they represent is the main key.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.