NEHSR - Manchester NH

mtnsldr

I apologize, I don't frequent this site as much as I probably should, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I looked around and it looked the best for the subject.

I just recently talked to New England Health and Safety Resources of Manchester, NH about taking their EMT-B course to finally get started in this side of the Fire/Rescue field. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any feedback on these guys and their program. I'm preparing to deploy again in the next 6 months (voluntarily this time) and want to get some better basic medical training, as it seems they never have time to put Military Officers through the CLS course... Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

In my humble opinion, as well as being former 11B and current medic, the CLS will suffice. HOWEVER, I applaud you for wanting to get the EMT. That will be beneficial. Good medical training can and will make a difference in combat. I don't know about the program that you have inquired about, but I wish you all the best. Stay safe and keep your head down (your arse too).

Doc

If you have money to waste, and don't care how you spend your last few months Stateside, go ahead! But I suggest you seek out past students, and inform yourself. Use the short list--students that passed The Registry--takes only a few minutes!

No frills here--NOTHING'S included... Textbook: $extra$ Workbook: $extra$(and wait for it to be ordered. It's not in stock, and it's not used) Testing Fee: Not Applicable (you need to find your own written and practical Registry Exam)

The Owner/Instructor will read the Powerpoint slides to you, give you a few "In-the-Streets" anecdotes and tricks that will make you a lazy provider, then turn you loose to practice skills under the expert eye of past students who haven't passed the registry on their latest try, and need more work. Blind leading the...you get the picture.

On the other hand--If you're a good reader, and pick up skills easily, this course does follow the DOT National Curriculum. If you keep up with the subject matter on your own, and know someone in the field who can help you with questions and guide you through the skills, you will come out with the ability to pass the tests, and even be a passable provider. (I have actually met a couple of them, from that school!)

You already have some training that Uncle Sam beat in to your BDU's. That gives you a leg up to begin with. I'm sure you'd do well.

Why not hedge your bet, though. Try the Elliot, or Parkland, St. Joe's or SNHMC. They all have good programs, priced about the same.

Kick some ass!

Hey Bro, do you know where you are headed yet and with what unit? Where were you first time around?

I'll still be here for a very long time to go. Drop me a PM!

Is this the one on commercial street? If it is i haven't heard any good things. I agree with EMSCynic to check out somewhere else. I don't know about Parkland though. I haven't heard many good things either, and I'm there all the time b/c I live in Derry and ride with Derry Fire three days a week. I would look into either The Elliot - New England EMS Insititute ( I'm starting my Intermediate there a week from today) on Lincoln Street, next Basic class starts 9/5. neemsi.org. Also, I took my Basic through Emergency Educators Group of New England. I'm not sure when they have classes or where, but I'm sure you could find out. The president/Head Instructor is Chuck Hemeon, who is the EMS Director for Derry Fire. You can reach him at the Town Municipal Building during the week at 432-6100. You could also probably find out if you call Derry Fire at 432-6121. He has been around for a long time and knows his shit. He is very thorough with the information he provides, and is really big into the A&P portion of the course, so you leave with a better understanding of A&P and pathophysiology than with most Basic classes.

DustDevil :

I can't discuss the specifics of the deployment, because at this time we haven't formally accepted it. Once we do, we'll be able to start dropping some intel. I'll let you know when I know. I work in personnel so I got a little heads up something was coming. I was in Balad the first go around with an NG Infantry unit attached to an MP BN/BDE. An interesting experience to say the least.

PrimeMedic: Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to go there for my B anyway, the most driving factor is that the class gets out a full month before the one at NEEMSI, and with the looming deployment I want to get on the street and start doing the real thing ASAP. I've got a friend who is the director of a Rescue Squad who wants to put me to work, and is going to help me get some additional clinical time, so as long as I can deal with PowerPoint (I'm military, we're trained :roll: ) I think I'll be good. Its all in what you put into it anyway.

Again, I really appreciate the honest truth, and I'll be way ahead of everyone else if I'm expecting it to not be all that great. Just means I need to put my own effort in, which I can handle.

DustDevil :

I can't discuss the specifics of the deployment, because at this time we haven't formally accepted it. Once we do, we'll be able to start dropping some intel. I'll let you know when I know. I work in personnel so I got a little heads up something was coming. I was in Balad the first go around with an NG Infantry unit attached to an MP BN/BDE. An interesting experience to say the least.

PrimeMedic: Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to go there for my B anyway, the most driving factor is that the class gets out a full month before the one at NEEMSI, and with the looming deployment I want to get on the street and start doing the real thing ASAP. I've got a friend who is the director of a Rescue Squad who wants to put me to work, and is going to help me get some additional clinical time, so as long as I can deal with PowerPoint (I'm military, we're trained :roll: ) I think I'll be good. Its all in what you put into it anyway.

Again, I really appreciate the honest truth, and I'll be way ahead of everyone else if I'm expecting it to not be all that great. Just means I need to put my own effort in, which I can handle.

Good luck bro, and be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.