Question about the USCG

kyemtb114

The USCG has opportunities for EMT's, but do not specifically ues them as such. They have rescue swimmers where the EMT-B would be beneficial. My advice to you would be to contact a recruiter and have them answer any specific questions you might have.

USCG Recruiters for Kentucky

Kentucky

USCG Recruiting Office Louisville

Recruiter in Charge: MSTC Danny Moore

3201 Fern Valley Road

Suite 112

Louisville, KY 40213

Voice: (502) 969-4006/3929

Fax: (502) 969-3572

If your question is do they utilise EMT-Bs, then the answer is yes.

If your question is whether or not they care if you are already an EMT-B, then the answer is probably not. They train their own. Going in as an already certified EMT-B isn't likely to get you any special deal or interest. You'll start as a FNG just like every other enlistee, and you'll get retrained to their standards.

Are you looking to join the coast guard and serve as an emt? or is it something else.... The Coast Guard has many positions for EMT. They train their Rescue Swimmers to be EMT's ,, they also train many of their small boat crews to be EMTs.... they do have a Rating called HS.. which is similar to Navy HM (Hospital Corpsman or Army Medic) but from what i understand USCG HS mostly serve in big base Infirmary's or hospitals....and not specifically on boats... they cross train boat crews as EMTs' mostly the rate of MK, or BM.... If you are looking to join and are already an EMT, i would suggest asking a recruiter what specialty he/she would see you going into..... ohh and dont trust recruiters too, much,, verify the info they give you. some can really steer you wrong in an attempt to meet a quota.

Good Luck

Former,,, also HM2 FMF Corpsman.

If you are going to join the USCG, then I recommend you place you EMT license in the inactive status. Also find out if your state accepts USCG continuing education credits to maintain you license if you can not place it in active.

What ever you do good luck and stay safe out there

A few things. I am in the Coast Guard Reserve and as long as you have a NR card you can act as an EMT. I Have my NREMT-P and am allowed to practice at that level as long as I have a Medical Officer for oversight.

The only people required to be EMT's are all Aviation Survival Technicians (Rescue Swimmers) and most Health Service Technicians (corpsman/medics), although most HS's are EMT's. Some units are required to have a certain number of EMT's but they come from all the other jobs.

HS's are assigned to larger cutters (I think >170'), isolated duty, and larger shore commands. They also have some that are assigned as part of the duty flight crew at the air stations.

As for training, if you are NR they probably won't send you back to school, if you don't have it they might. HS "A" school is 20 wks and is required for anyone that is going to be an HS. Currently there is a 12-18 month waiting list from the time you get out of boot camp till the time you go to school. You generally get sent to a cutter or small boat station while you wait to go to school. And Dustdevilis right they probably won't give it that much interest when you join, and you will be an FNG just like everyone else. Look at the links below.

Military.com HS forum

USCG HS School

Good luck, if you have any more questions send me an e-mail.

I thank you all for all your information. One more question if i was to go with the Coast Guard Reserve and I dont live near the sea what would they use me at. I understand they do patrol

major waterways and I live near two the mississippi river and the ohio. would that be were I would most likely be sent or outher. please forgive my spelling. The spell check was not working. Thanks for information

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.