How would you handle this?

Hind sight is 20/20, :shock: every one can say that the splint was overkill since she walked out of the ED w/o a fx, But by your statements, I would have suspected a femor fx also, like you said, classic signs.

I would have probably withheld pain meds also, being so close to the hospital and no IVs, So dont beat your-self up over it, And all i can say about the Doc is tread carefully my friend, they can be your best friend, or worse nightmare. 8)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your protocol allows for it, why would you not have requested 2.5mg of IM MS to take the edge off, even if you were only a couple minutes out. This would have eased the pain and also gotten around the pt being a hard stick. Pain management is on of the biggest problems we face in the field it seems to me. I have run with many medics who seem not to care. I am a Basic/D but it seems to me that if a patient were reporting UPS of 8/10 with a midshaft long bone fx and it was in my scope to offer relief, I most certainly would have done it, if we were 30 seconds from the door. We have to learn to look at pain in a much different way in our culture: it affects healing, patient compliance, patients ms....you had the MS that could have been given IM by the sounds of it...just curious why you didnt. I would have if it had been in my scope. Look forward to your response.

Guess what...no longer your patient, no longer your worry is a load of Ca Ca. They sure as heck will be your patient again when they come back and sue you for negligence or pain and suffering or whatever they can come up with to pry open your wallet. DOCUMENT!!! Your run report should include that doc refused to give MS or whatever he would have chosen to use (or not in this case). The service that I will be working for backs its EMTs and Medics to the hilt especially when it comes to confrontation with doctors. But not all services are like that. Watch you back!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.