central line problems

Leen C

Shoot me as I know that this probably doesn't belong here, but I couldn't think of another place to post this... 8-[

A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer a while back. For his last operation he was given a central line and since then he has had weakness in his shoulder and also tongue. The doctors don't explain a thing to him and say their is no explanation for his problem. He however remembers them having quite some difficulties with this central line. He asked among others to talk to the anesthetist, but the hospital keeps coming up with different excuses as to why the man isn't available... Does this sound like they are trying to cover up a mistake? :? Have any of you ever heard of such problems caused by the placement of a central line? My friend isn't looking to sue anyone (you wouldn't win anyway, here in Belgium B) ) , but he just wants them to at least admit to a mistake and have them explain what went wrong.

Thanks a million if you have any information for us!!

Just a guess, and I'm not going to show up in court to admit to it, but it sounds like they may have nicked the brachial nerve. One of many common complications of central line placement.

I asked him for a few more details, anything he could remember, as he wasn't exactly feeling great at the time...

Turns out the central line wasn't subclavian, but jugular. Can they still have hit the brachial nerve from that location? And the one thing that puzzles me, is the problem with his tongue... Which kind of mistake can you make that would effect both the shoulder and tongue? One of his therapists outside hospital mentioned something about the eleventh cranial nerve (or should that rather be the twelfth = lingual motor nerve?) :?

Apparently, they had problems with his central line right from the start. He was in recovery in agony. Nobody knew why, as he was being given quite a lot of morphine. It took them 4 hours to find out that the morphine wasn't going into the central line, but was just leaking into his pillow! :shock: That alone makes it possible for me to believe that they did make a serious mistake (or at least are clearly capable of making them :D ).

Like I said, the only thing he wants is to find out what went wrong. He is already left in the dark about most of his treatment, seems to me like they don't even try to explain things to him... For someone who isn't even sure whether he will survive the entire ordeal, these kinds of 'little' extra problems make things even harder to deal with. He is just looking for someone who is honest to him for a change... :|

The nerve that was nicked, is really immaterial. Fact is, it sounds like it happened, along with some pretty poor securing of the catheter, causing the symptoms you describe. It still sounds like a spinal nerve instead of a cranial nerve with the numbness into the hand, but all academic at this point. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.