What material is in KEDs? Plywood slats?

I'm eyeballing a $90 "RED" (Red Extrication Device), which appears to be identical to the traditional KED in all respects, from looking at the picture. They say it has a "rigid spine" and plywood slats inside. Does anybody know what material is inside the traditional KED? Thanks.

The K.E.D. is also strengthened by wood slats just like the one you described.

Just out of curiosity are you buying this yourself for use when you first respond?

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Thanks, Marty! Yeah, for myself when I work rally or buggy races out in the boonies.

Thanks, Marty! Yeah, for myself when I work rally or buggy races out in the boonies.

Is there a reason that whoever you work for does not provide you with this equipment?

Is there a reason that whoever you work for does not provide you with this equipment?

I'm not in EMS as a profession; only volunteer on the weekends for non-profit org's, etc.. I think I can get my NPO to reimburse me, although we don't usually use KEDs for dirt bike racers.

...E-Bay has a few at $40, brand new. Just search "Kendrick Extrication Device" and you'll find them, if you just type in KED you get shoes.

Thanks, Marty! I'll definitely check that out.

I'm not in EMS as a profession; only volunteer on the weekends for non-profit org's, etc.. I think I can get my NPO to reimburse me, although we don't usually use KEDs for dirt bike racers.

While you may not use a KED on a biker, the original question still stands. Why is the organization for whom you're working/volunteering not provide the equipment you (might) need? Do they provide everything else but not this? Do they provide nothing and you're trying to stock yourself?

There just seems to be a better way to do this than you potentially getting stuck with a bill for equipment you shouldn't have to buy.

-be safe.

While you may not use a KED on a biker, the original question still stands. Why is the organization for whom you're working/volunteering not provide the equipment you (might) need? Do they provide everything else but not this? Do they provide nothing and you're trying to stock yourself?

There just seems to be a better way to do this than you potentially getting stuck with a bill for equipment you shouldn't have to buy.

-be safe.

Well, if you put it that way, I guess I volunter for multiple agencies, and only truely "belong" to one. Is there such a thing as a freelance EMT? If so, maybe I'm one of those. My main organization authorized reimbursement for anything I want (bilateral sager splint is on it's way, too), but they don't have the dough to make everyone's personal vehicle into an ambulance (volunteer non-profit S&Rs don't bill insurance companies, so we're poor). I am curious, though... how do true 100% freelance EMTs (for hire as medical stand-by at sporting events, etc.) buy their equipment? I haven't seen any grants that are non-homeland security.

Well, if you put it that way, I guess I volunter for multiple agencies, and only truely "belong" to one. Is there such a thing as a freelance EMT? If so, maybe I'm one of those. My main organization authorized reimbursement for anything I want (bilateral sager splint is on it's way, too), but they don't have the dough to make everyone's personal vehicle into an ambulance (volunteer non-profit S&Rs don't bill insurance companies, so we're poor). I am curious, though... how do true 100% freelance EMTs (for hire as medical stand-by at sporting events, etc.) buy their equipment? I haven't seen any grants that are non-homeland security.

EMS is a profession, not a hobby.

Medical standby at the advanced FA (EMT-B) level I have no problem with, but there is no reason for you to need a Sager especially since I am guessing you have very little experience responding to true emergencies.

They shouldn't have to turn everyone's POV into an ambulance. They should have a properly stocked and supplied ambulance there for you to use at a standby event such as this. If they don't, to borrow a phrase from Dust, then they suck.

My understanding of EMTs who work at standbys is that of a provider who is hired by a company that owns everything they might need. The EMT is an employee paid to partake in the event as needed. Supplies are stocked in the provided response vehicle. Personal stashes of equipment and POVs are rightly and justifiably left out of the equation entirely.

How can you volunteer for several organizations but only belong to one? What does this mean?

I'm also confused as to what you mean by "freelance". You either volunteer or work for an existing squad as an EMS professional. Otherwise, you're nothing more than a glorified first aider who has no business being involved in anything where you would have to buy such equipment.

Your posts to this point are not painting a favorable picture of you, any organization with which you might be affiliated, or the racing circuit you frequent. As was noted, this is not a hobby. You don't go out and buy equipment to stock your POV. Please either clarify your position here or come to terms with the fact that you're both a whacker and a troll.

At the very least, for your own personal protection from a lawsuit, please affiliate yourself with a reputable, professional organization that takes the role of providing EMS at such events seriously. If you continue here it sounds like you're setting yourself up to get hosed.

-be safe.