Ambulance Crash, buckle up guys.

EMS49393

Link from the fire department responding to the accident:

Sykesville Fire

Based on an article from the local newspaper, none of the crew were wearing seat belts. An employee from the same private ambulance company that was involved in this crash was recently ticketed for failure to wear a seat belt by the Maryland State Police. He blogged about that incident on his myspace page citing that someone could die in the amount of time it takes to put on and take off a seat belt. Keep in mind, private services in Maryland do NOT run any 911. Last time I checked, a nursing home transfer did not constitute life or death.

Has anyone heard any other excuses for not buckling up?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only person that could die from that instance is the EMT/Paramedic themselves. We run strictly 9-1-1 calls and I've never had a problem slipping my seatbelt on in the .5 seconds it takes before I roll out of the barn. That excuse is simple stupidity, especially if he's on a transfer crew. I encourage you all to look at the apperatus crashes section of the photogallery on here. After viewing some of those accidents, I've made a concious effort to try to buckle up in the back of the truck as well. Harder to do, but if it saves my life it's worth it.

Sheer stupidity! I would be interested to hear the results of the investigation. While I cannot make any statements other than assumptive, I wonder if the damage to the ambulance in relation to the other vehicles was due to a higher rate of speed? The impact was to the rear of the dump truck and the ambulance was behind it so obviously someone wasn't paying attention. Please post a follow-up if you can.........

"Upon the arrival of Sykesville fire and EMS crews, the private ambulance crew had self-extricated themselves from the wreckage."

"Two members of the private ambulance crew were treated on the scene and then flown to Shock Trauma by Maryland State Police Troopers #2 and #3."

Why were these people flown? They got themselves out and were stable enough to be treated on scene. Was there truly any need for HEMS or was this a courtesy transport? I'm all for helping out fellow EMS'r, but it sounds like a misuse of resources to me.........

Just my humble opinion................

Given that I was not there, I can't comment on the exact reason why. My guess is that with the number of patients and (from the sounds of it) the rural location that they were in, they may flown them due to the time it would take for other medic units to respond. Faster transport = faster arrival to definitive care. I run in a pretty rural area and we have 2 departments that can give us adequate mutal aid in the timely manner. If we have an MCI situation we call for a flight because of the sheer number of patients and the lack of trauma centers in the area (hour drive, 15 minute flight). Not knowing the area I can't say this is the case, but it's hard to second guess a crew when I wasn't there myself

#2 gets my vote!!!!

Trauma center is less than an hour away by ground and Carroll County apparantly has a few ambulances available to assist. 5 pts. with 4 ambulances responding is not a mass casualty......

I've made a concious effort to try to buckle up in the back of the truck as well.

I know helmets in the rear have been discussed on here.

I've worked high steel/scaffolding etc. and used inertial reel safety harnesses.

I was wondering if there'd be anyway to hook up a reel running down the center roof of the unit.

Sort of like a door gunner rig.

You could still move around for patient care but maybe not roll around like an egg in a tin can in an accident.

just a thought.

neal

I know everyone has heard something similar to this before, BUT:

In 23 years of EMS I have honestly, only worked ONE accident where I had to unbuckle a dead person _ seat belts save lives! What kind of message are we sending to our families and communities if we refuse to wear them! It is irresponsible for us not to be wearing them.

I wonder if these guys skip wearing gloves during patient contact!

One heck of a crash. To rip the body off the dump truck, and flip the ambulance....

All I can say is, the State Police staff medical helicopters in Maryland. And they use them.

I wonder if these guys skip wearing gloves during patient contact!

I never wear gloves, unless it is a sterile field.

I always wear my seatbelt. Even in back. Helmet too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.