Evidence Based Practice

BushyFromOz

Ok, its probably the wrong place to post this, and i didnt know where to post it so i threw it the place with the most topics..

Can someone fling me some info as to where to find evidence on the effectiveness of evidence based practice?

specifically anything dealing with pros and cons would be good

cheers

First, why would evidence based practice be bad? Wouldn't it be good if we change to improve our care (new CPR guidelines) or get rid of treatments that sound good, but either doesn't work (pacing asystole) or hurts the patient (fluid resuscitation)? Evidence based practice isn't so much something that can be researched on its own, but a philosophy that states that what we do should be proven to work instead of just being an idea. The evidence to support this philosophy is when ever we change because multiple studies prove that something either works or doesn't work and people are saved because of it.

Spot on JPINFV!

The provlem with evidence based practice is who is gathering the evidence. Much like any investigation, if you gather just enough to prove/disprove what you want to happen, it will. MAST suit anyone? Prehospital intubation of TBI sound familiar?

Then there's the matter of who is sponsoring the study. Amiodarone ring a bell?

Many issues, and none of them can be completely controlled for without increasing the cost of what ever it is you are studying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.