EMT-B Classes

Welcome to the site.. Check out the search and you will find tons of stuff!

Now, not to "pop" your bubble, or even the slightest discourage you, but here is some of my personal suggestions.

First, there are very few professional EMS agencies that will even take an application from you until you are 21 to 23 years of age, due to insurance coverage.

Unless you are already accepted and associated with an agency, it is hard to maintain your license and certification level.. if you cannot actively work in it.

Give yourself some time.... have fun..! Get enrolled in some real educational courses at a local college or university setting, yes, you will need these later. Take some anatomy, physiology, and yes definitely basics such as English, Psychology, etc..

Get all the classes you can prior to EMT class... a couple of things will occur.... EMT will be simple, you will be more mature and have an grasp of proper studying and diversity as well.

EMT classes will be there when you get through educational classes and become older...

Good luck,

R/r 911

I graduated high school this past June and decided to spend my summer break taking an EMT course. I don't regret it. I really enjoyed the class and I'm taking my state exam next week.

As for working while I'm still under the age of 21: Personally, I'm taking a year off before I go to college to spend a year in Israel. I plan to volunteer there as a EMT or if that's not possible a CFR. So I'm an exception to the rule of what goes on when you are a young EMT.

However, I do know, that regardless of what I do next year, I will most probably be able to work when I get back to the states. The college that I am going to has their own volly ambulance service. I know that they are not the only ones, many colleges will have a volunteer ambulance service that is student staffed.

So with regard to what R/r 911 said. If you are going into EMS right at of high school, you aren't going to make a living right out of it right away (if that's what you plan to do). You will most probably have to volunteer to keep up your skills, gain some experience, and fill the years until you are old enough to be hired by a professional agency.

( R/r 911- Is that really true about the EMS agencies not hiring until you are 21? Interesting. I've never heard that. Does experience over ride the age issue? )

If you really want to take your EMT class next summer, and you think that you are mature enough and ready for it, then go for it. But just keep in mind that taking an EMT course right out of high school isn't for everyone. You should really sit down and think about it first, make sure that's what you want to do with your summer, make sure you are ready for it.

Being an EMT is not something you do on a whim. And I know that I too am young and maybe some people would say too young to be an EMT, but before I paid for the course I made sure that I wanted to take it and was ready for it.

If you want to know what you are going to learn in your EMT course. Take a look at your state's Department of Health website for course schedules, descriptions, or curriculums. That should give you a basic outline of what is going to be learned.

-Elkie

Unfortunately, it is true most large private providers that use commercial EMS Insurance coverage, cannot employ ones under the age of 21- 23 (dependent on company) as a driver. As well many of these corporations require you to drive, even though you may never or not part of your job.

Cities, Municipalities, and Fire Departments are usually self insured, or have conjunction of self insured to have lower rates, etc.. they can and do sometimes employ EMT's < 21.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Another thing to remember is that a drawn out EMT-B class is very easy to do along with a college schedule. The one day a week for 3-4 months is much easier to fit in then the 2 week, 12+hour/day courses (and at least in my area, a whole lot cheaper).

Unfortunately, it is true most large private providers that use commercial EMS Insurance coverage, cannot employ ones under the age of 21- 23 (dependent on company) as a driver. As well many of these corporations require you to drive, even though you may never or not part of your job.

Cities, Municipalities, and Fire Departments are usually self insured, or have conjunction of self insured to have lower rates, etc.. they can and do sometimes employ EMT's < 21.

Good luck,

R/r 911

I dunno about that. Around here (MA) most people who go through the town class are 18, and upon completion of the course not only volly with us, but usually get part time or full time jobs with private services throughout the state. (SLEAZECare, Trinity, and AMR are the main companies that employ us). I'm not saying you're wrong, Rid, just saying that lots of people do get jobs under 21...

I don't know what is taught in your state but you should at least learn CPR, some basic anatomy and physiology, how to take a set of vitals, listen to breath sounds, and some first aid that you won't learn going to the AHA.

As far as you being in high school, I started my EMT classes about two weeks before my senior year started. I know where you are and I can say for a fact, you're going to have to prove yourself to a lot of people. I'm not trying to discourage you at all but people in EMS see someone so young and can only assume that you're immature. Not everyone is but unfortunately, there have been too many people in your shoes come along and just mess it up for the others like yourself.

If you have a volly service near you that provides first responder services, I urge you to at least get some expierence there. Rid is right, there aren't a lot of places willing to hire someone under 21 but you'll just have to do some research in your area to see how you can get your foot in the door. That's what I had to do.

Good luck with your classes.

Take care.

So how do they deal with the insurance of under 21 year old drivers?

My experience has been the same as Rid's. If you're under the age of 21 you're typically not considered for hire due to insurance regs and the potential for needing to drive the ambulance. And this is consistent over several states in which I've worked or had dealings with EMS...not just one.

I also agree with Rid in that there's plenty of time to take an EMT class. Go to college. Get some solid educational experience behind you. That will help make this class a breeze for you. Plus, it'll give you the opportunity for some solid life experiences. Especially if you take advantage of a lot of the programs offered in a college setting (including study abroad). If you really want to do right for yourself, go to nursing school first. Then earn a paramedic certification. The education received from both will compliment each other and you'll be better off both job wise and financially in the long run.

EMS will always be here. There will always be a roll of EMS in todays society. And there is no shortage of stupid people waiting to give us something to do. Enjoy life some before getting involved in what can be an emotionally draining career.

-be safe.

So how do they deal with the insurance of under 21 year old drivers?

My experience has been the same as Rid's. If you're under the age of 21 you're typically not considered for hire due to insurance regs and the potential for needing to drive the ambulance. And this is consistent over several states in which I've worked or had dealings with EMS...not just one.

I also agree with Rid in that there's plenty of time to take an EMT class. Go to college. Get some solid educational experience behind you. That will help make this class a breeze for you. Plus, it'll give you the opportunity for some solid life experiences. Especially if you take advantage of a lot of the programs offered in a college setting (including study abroad). If you really want to do right for yourself, go to nursing school first. Then earn a paramedic certification. The education received from both will compliment each other and you'll be better off both job wise and financially in the long run.

EMS will always be here. There will always be a roll of EMS in todays society. And there is no shortage of stupid people waiting to give us something to do. Enjoy life some before getting involved in what can be an emotionally draining career.

-be safe.

I guess they pair you up with a partner that has been with the company for a while, and you run as the tech for a certain amount of time until they allow you to drive. That's probably not only for insurance reasons, but also based on the rationale that a new employee probably won't know the area well right away.

As far as the original post goes...go to college. Take an EMT class if you want, but with burnout rates as high as they are, don't cheat yourself out of a better education that may allow for a career change.

I actually have a question of my own. Is an RN higher up on the chain of the medical educationthan a PA? I feel like a PA would have to know more, as they diagnose, prescribe etc, btu I'm not sure...

^

Wow, time to open up a can of worms (anyone who ever goes over to SDN's allied health board knows what I'm talking about).

An RN is below a PA. A PA is equivalent to a NP or CRNA. These levels are considered "mid-level providers" and operate under the "supervision" of a MD or DO (actual level of supervision and control varies by location).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.