AMR and Piners vote to strike in northern California

You must have got your information from The NEMSA leader on TV. The people that were fired at Piner's were fired because they deserved it and NO other reason. I can vouch for that. Do you think that people shouldn't be disciplined because they are going through union negotiations? People should be disciplined if they do something wrong. No one has had pay taken away because that would be illegal. The employees that have claimed to be harassed have done their fair share of harassing. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but it's not all correct. The employees have turned this into a game and should be ashamed of themselves. Piner's has always had awesome benefits. When I was there I paid only $10 per visit and $5 for prescriptions and I know it is still the same. So they make a little less, but they don't pay a penny for health coverage and they also have five 24hr stations with cable and air conditioning in each one. Piner;s would make much more money with less 24hr stations and more strike cars. You can also drive around in their ambulances and run errands, go see their family, and pretty much do what they want. So if they want to give up that then they would probably make more money. Piner's has fired less people in the last twenty years than the local Fire department has fired in the last two years. Think about that. Some of these people don't know how good they have it. Like I said, if they don't like it then go somewhere else. Don't put you community at risk because you want more than you already have.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right? You can't be serious. Use your head. You're in CALIFORNIA! The birthplace of fire-based EMS! The only place that the local politicians are going to "jump" is to their fire chief. Then you won't have to worry about your "low paying job." In fact, you will have no job to worry about at all. And you will have only yourself to blame.

If it were that simple the municipal government would have shitcanned Piners when they were unable to meet their contractual obligations, and just handed the whole ambulance portfolio over to their FD's without a second thought. That won't happen because it would require massive funding increases to the FD, since Fire-based services always cost more to run than municipal and private companies - because of their higher wages.

Again, have the stones to fight for a fair wage and decent working conditions. WE DID IT UP HERE.

If it were that simple the municipal government would have shitcanned Piners when they were unable to meet their contractual obligations, and just handed the whole ambulance portfolio over to their FD's without a second thought. That won't happen because it would require massive funding increases to the FD, since Fire-based services always cost more to run than municipal and private companies - because of their higher wages.

Again, have the stones to fight for a fair wage and decent working conditions. WE DID IT UP HERE.

Yeah, little reality check here for our northern neighbor. American Fire Departments have always been good at finding ways to fund their little pet projects. Chiefs are excellent about moving funds from project A to project B and covering project A with funds from project C while project C will be covered in the next fiscal year.

This is the kind of opportunity FD's love, private ambo's fail to meet coverage and fire swoops in and saves the day. Next levy the FD is taunting how they can do the job better and cheaper to the public. Of course in a years time the public will find out they cannot do it cheaper, but alas it's too late, so let's vote in a higher levy to cover the difference. All that time the FD is siphoning funds from the confined space rescue levy to cover the difference, but hey in a years time they'll get a new tax to make up that money.

EMS is a shell game in many states in the US. Chief among them is California, where FD's are running amok taking over ambulance services wherever they can. Has this resulted in better patient? Sadly no, California is really an ass-backwards state when it comes to EMS. A majority of systems in Cali are "Mother may I" systems with quick learn the basics Paramedic programs pumping out as many Firefighter/paramedics as they can. So like Dust said earlier it is suicide for these Medics to go on strike, in time it could cost them all their jobs.

Wait, I almost forgot another ridiculous funding option the FD's are enjoying right now, Terrorism Response Funding. In my town of 30,000 souls the Fire Department gets a truckload of cash to prepare us for attacks from Al Queda every year. It's ironic since we don't get a whole lot of money for Mt St. Helen's anymore. Now which is more dangerous an active volcano forty air miles away or Ahmed driving a van of explosives into our local Dairy Queen? Or maybe yet a gas attack at the one of the local bowling alleys, yeah that show the world Osama means business he just wasted 36 rednecks! Oh yes the games goes on, just realize in the States most FD's are covered by tax money of some kind, and their are always new taxes to come up with to cover whatever they want.

The only thing Piner Medics have as private providers is to prove to the public they have the dedication to do their jobs. If the public sees one person die because of this strike they will lose any public support they had.

Hmmm I think I hear that new $180,000 Fire/Rescue unit responding to a call.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Quote from MadAxe(If it were that simple the municipal government would have shitcanned Piners when they were unable to meet their contractual obligations, and just handed the whole ambulance portfolio over to their FD's without a second thought. That won't happen because it would require massive funding increases to the FD, since Fire-based services always cost more to run than municipal and private companies - because of their higher wages.)

Actually, it was already said that if Piner's went under that the local FD and CFD would take over and have their own ambulances. Don't think for a second that the rich locals of Napa wouldn't pay more taxes to have that happen.

Besides THEY SIGNED A CONTRACT!!!! There will be NO strike!!! I hope it was all worth it.

Good luck to all!!!!

You are correct, my information regarding the situation at Piners Ambulance did come from one of several emails from NEMSA, their union representatives. Therefore I concede that my facts may have been skewed.

However my information regarding the contract negotiations at AMR in Northern California comes from my own personal experience and also from extensive communications with our labor leaders and with my fellow employees here in Contra Costa County.

What's always fun with fire based ALS is when fire shows up with an engine AND an ambulance code 3, then a few minutes later the local contracted company (always BLS), shows up with their ambulance for the transport. I bet nothing can be better then getting a bill from both the fire department for an engine and ambulance, AND the contracted company.

Ohh, wait, it can. Living in an almost complete suburban area and watching fire buy medium duty trucks. There is nothing like watching the FD for one of the poorer, land-locked communities show up in what almost looks like a fire engine front with an ambulance box on back, especially when one of the richer areas used primarily use typeIIs untill recently (now they've upgraded to type IIIs and some medium duty).

This is the kind of opportunity FD's love, private ambo's fail to meet coverage and fire swoops in and saves the day.....So like Dust said earlier it is suicide for these Medics to go on strike, in time it could cost them all their jobs

No Fire Service I've ever worked with could just step up and deliver ambulance service without a major influx of personnel and money. They might be able to shuffle resources as a very short-term option, but I think most firefighters (and their unions) would go berserk if significant resources were pulled from traditinonal FD duties to run EMS. No matter how you slice it, any FD is going to need much more money and personnel to deliver ambulance service.

You're advocating a defeatist mentality that's been prevalent in EMS for far too long. There is a long and well documented history of other labour movements that faced similar (often much more difficult) problems in their struggle to achieve fair working conditions. Look to their example. If anything, the prospects for EMS are even better than those of the general workforce, as EMS isn't a job that can be outsourced, and there will always be a need for medics in the community.

The employees of Piners Ambulance have prevailed. The company gave in 10 hours before the strike was about to occur and the employees returned to their regular scheduled shifts on Friday morning with a TA, that includes significant payraises (around 14%) and more, in their back pockets. The ratification vote is to occur sometime over the next two weeks and is expected to pass with a majority vote. This is their first contract.

Update from Piner's...

Our strike was supposed to start Friday AM at 0700. Thursday evening, at 2338pm, the contract was signed, with the employer giving the employees what we wanted (for the most part), plus an additional 1% raise over what the employer originally proposed. (Reminding you all that $$ was NEVER what this was about).

So, the Piner's drama is over until 2009...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.