AMR and Piners vote to strike in northern California

The EMT's and paramedics of AMR's northern California bargaining unit of 2600 employees have voted to strike unless AMR negotiators return to the table with a more acceptable offer for the newly proposed 2 year contract. According to the Sacramento business journal and the Sacramento Bee, the proposed average wage increase ranges from 10.5% to 19%. The main reason for the strike vote appears to be health insurance. Some of the AMR employees complained that the deductibles for ER visits and medication co-pays under the proposed Blue shield PPO plan are unacceptable. The employee bargaining committee met on Friday to discuss additional proposals and solutions to the standoff between AMR executives and the employees whom are represented by the National EMS Association (NEMSA). William Sanger, CEO of AMR's parent company EMSC, was paid a $22 million bonus last year on top of his approx. $900.000 per year salary and tens of millions in stock options.

At the same time, the 60 paramedics and EMT's of Piners ambulance service, in the California Napa wine country, have been frustrated with Piner managements refusal to bargain their first contract in good faith. These frustrations culminated this past Friday at 8pm when the employees voted to strike, in order to force Gary Piner, owner of Piners ambulance back to the bargaining table. Employees at the ambulance company, represented by the National EMS Association (NEMSA), are aware that if Mr. Piner does not return to the bargaining table and begin immediately to bargain in good faith, the county of Napa may step in to resolve the issue in a manner not favorable to Mr. Piner business.

The county has already declared an emergency this weekend, which in turn gives them the right to alter or cancel Mr. Piners 911 contract in the area. The nearest and Largest EMS provider possibly able to take over 911 service in the area at a moments notice is AMR. In the past, AMR has in emergency takeover cases hired the complete local workforce as to not interrupt service and operations. A takeover by AMR, would translate into instant $5 to $7 dollar per hour pay-raises for the employees.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm no offense but I think getting a 10-19 percent pay increase would be a good thing. I wish I got that amount in my check but I don't have a union behind me.

I hope they get everything they are asking for, and this is sincerely coming from an Ex-AMR employee

I hope the citizens of the area stand up and tell those paramedics, EMT's, and AMR to get the hell out and start their own service. What I see is a bunch of greedy employees unhappy with a 10% to 19% pay raise when the average American only sees a 2% to 4% pay raise each year.

You don't deny your citizens health care and protection to prove a point.

Actually I believe that they could be charged with abandonment if they strike but I'm not sure about that.

I agree with you on that. There is no reason why you deny the citizens any form of emergency care. I remember the KC FD strike of the 70's, it was horrible. the police were fighting fires. Several businesses were total losses due to the refusal of the FD to respond.

There was a strike in Oakland where the nurses went on strike. One of their demands which was the sticking point was lifetime job protection (ha ha ha what a crock or crap)

But the personal note aside on my original post about getting all you can, DO NOT let them get everything they can at the expense of the publics safety, that's just not kosher.

I also know firsthand about AMR coming in to a service and taking over, everyone will have to prove themselves to AMR and no job is guaranteed. Just something to think about.

Just until this is over, avoid these two communities like the plague until a more stable form of EMS is in place.

I don't see the Napa Valley area allowing this to just happen. If I lived there I would file a lawsuit the minute this happens against the local government agencies, AMR, and the individual medics that are suppose to be on duty during the strike at the station that responds to my address.

Strikes are for unions where a shutdown only has an economic cost, not one where someone could die. I've always thought strikes were kind of pointless anyways. You don't get paid while your on strike, not that many people can afford to take that kind of a pay hit if it goes on for a while. I mean lets face it, the union might supplement you if your lucky, but it isn't going to be enough to live on.

I don't believe they should get walked all over, but I don't see what the issue is with taking a 10% to 19% pay raise.

The problem with that raise is that AMR pays all the surrounding counties 20% to 30% or more. This article leaves alot out, like the contract negotiations quoted pertain to San Joaquin county specifically. AMR came up with a first and final offer just before the contract expired in order to prevent any form of negotiations and to make all the employees at will. As of Friday, I haven't heard anything beyond grumblings of people just wanting strike and there is a possibility that union members in the Bay Area and other Central / Sacramento Valley would be on board if it happened. In our county, 911 would be covered but there would be less cars on the road, I'm sure.

Nate you are preachin to the choir to me my friend. a 10-19 percent pay raise. What the heck, I'm happy with a 4% increase. 19% is just cake. Where did having to earn it go in all this. A blanket 19% pay raise. Sheesh where do I sign up

Sickbxy, you are totally correct in that there has to be more to the story than just posted in the OP.

As for the CEO of AMR getting so much money, that's the nature of the beast. You pay people what the market will pay and if this guy gets all this money then that is what the market pays.

He's not one of the top 500 paid exec's if I remember though.

Just look at the guy from Exxon Mobile - I believe his pay was the most of any out there.

We can bash the exec's all over the place but AMR chooses to pay it's highest execs that much then that is what they will do. almost impossible to change that.

Besides, it's always the front line guys/gals who get the least amount.

Look at any fast food restaurant - front line workers about 7 per hour. CEO of McDonalds - millions

It's a vicious circle and will never be equitable

A couple things the original poster left out of the story...

From the Sacramento Business Journal...

A total of 433 employees voted against the contract; 425 voted for ratification and 13 were deemed void, said Torren Colcord, president of the National Emergency Services Association, or NEMSA. More than 2,200 ballots were mailed earlier this month.

So let's look at the numbers here..

433 against the contract

425 for the contract

13 declared "void"

Total 871 members voted

2200 ballots mailed out

So 1300 members did not even vote!!!! :shock:

Then there's this....

The proposed contract offers up to a 17.5 percent wage increase over two years and a shift to a lower-priced health plan. The switch from an HMO to a preferred provider organization plan means a small increase in copayments, but costs to the bargaining unit will drop 44 percent and the employers will reimburse workers $500 a year for the higher out-of-pocket expenses.

I'm all for employees getting what they deserve. It just seems ludicrous to go on strike and endanger the general public with less than 1/4 of the employees voting against a contract.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

Totally off topic, but I looked up Piner's ambulance and found that they are not just an ambulance company. They have a bunch of businesses on their website.

packard-ambulance.gifPiner's Ambulance

guest_home_01.gifPiner's Guest Home

medical_supplies_01.gifPiner's Medical Supply

nursing_home_01.gifPiner's Nursing Home

welding_supply_01.gifPiner's Welding Supply

bm_01.gifBicycle Madness

Unit 435 copy an emergency 1234 S. Broadway, 48yo Male chest pain, on your way please drop off an arc welder at 345 S Industrial and also drop off a bike chain at 6543 N. Yuppy Way. :lol:

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

P.S. I am not making this up...Piners.net

P.S.S. I am not slamming this service or anybody who works for them. I just thought it was an interesting mix of businesses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.