Finishing up and shifting directions

All right here's the question. I recently found out that at my college if I work as an intermediate while finishing medic school, that I can then turn around and go throught the paramedic to ADN transition without being out in the field a year. Well when I first started this whole thing I thought that nursing was the last thing on my mind but now I'm not so sure. I love EMS but I don't know how long I want to lift the 300lbs, one legged dialysis pt, plus in this part of the state of texas i'm in, in order to work a city 911 service you have to be the medic/ff and when thoses postions open up there will be like 5 spots open up and like 200 candidates. I don't know what to think any thoughts on this?

• 10 months later...

Keep in mind that starting right off the bat you're not going to get all of the guts and glory that comes with a 911 service. Even working all of the chuck truck runs (dialysis, transfers, granny homes, etc.) you'll still get some 911 contact, just not the majority for that city. Keep in mind, when you're in the truck for whatever company you're working for, that truck is a moving billboard and you could very well after clearing a call roll up on a multiple car MVA allowing you to get some 911 contact or be flagged down because the natives got restless and somebody got a bullet in their ass. In short sum what I'm getting at is you can't start out at the top no matter what field you're working in. Many, MANYYYYYYY of those working 911 start off at places being the gerriatric taxi in order to get their skills down and get theirself into a system of their own to find out what works best for them. Or you have the ones that're burnt out on 911 and want the break that comes with working the chuck truck runs.

Also keep in mind that some cities with their private pay ambulance services, such as like the one I'm presently at in Louisville, KY ; no we don't have the 911 contract for Louisville, but the company has sub-stations right across the border in Indiana for which they do have the 911 contract for and a station in Jeffersontown which is a hop skip and a jump from Louisville which they also have the 911 contract for. In addition we provide backup 911 for Louisville Metro when they get slammed, which on average for a 16 hour shift I'm typically on atleast 3 Louisville Metro calls. Last but not least, no matter where you end up being or what you end up doing, never forget who you are and where you came from. :wink:

-K.Kidder

NREMT-B

KY EMT-B

or be flagged down because the natives got restless and somebody got a bullet in their ass

:laughing3:

Great line mate!

all right guys here's the deal. I appreciate everyone who took the time to read this and post any replies. Since posting this I have completed paramedic school, taken the skills test and wil be taking the written test soon. I have decided that nursing sure ain't for me and have decided to stick with EMS. It's what I love. I have made some good contacts and have an idea of the direction I now want to go. Once again thanks to everyone :)