software and systems

Which computer software/computers are any of you using on board your squad? We may be looking at going a little more high tech than the normal paper pcr. What are you suggestions? What do you like/don't like? Need something very user friendly. Have a lot of older ems personnel who don't really care much for computers. Would like you input.

Thanks

Patty

We have discussed this one before....but I will give a little insight..

I installed a wireless network and we began using Zoll (formerly Pinpoint) systems Tablet PCR. (My primary expertise-read job-- is in IT engineering--so designing and implementing a system for 3 units wasn't at all hard) We have been using it approximately 1.5 years and have had good luck with it. The system is rather pricey for the software--about $50,000.00US(we do not use the dispatching part--as we are dispatched through a city 911 system)

We run the software on the existing servers at the station, along with 3 wireless and bluetooth equipped Panasonic Toughbooks--with touch screen (approx $3000.00US) and they live in a hardened docking station--bolted in the tunnel of the Type 3 ambulances. We have bluetooth capable printers on each of the units (for printing a draft PCR to give to the hospital) which run for the shore power or inverter. Paperwork filing cost savings has been in the neighborhood of $10000.00US so far (and collections for billing has dramatically increased due to the speed we can now process claims and bill)

In terms of training, it took about 2 months to bring all the personnel on board with the 'new' process. The software can be tailored for almost any protocol--(this is what took us the longest). Aside from a few procedural problems in the beginning, we have all been VERY pleased in how easy and quick it is to do the process, get the patient info, detail an assesment, timestamp interventions, and have everything completed within 5 minutes after the call is completed. You can carry the toughbook anywhere--and it seems to hold up well to even Fireman abuse.

The hardware is the cheaper side of the solution, you could even get away with a simple wireless network (like a linksys router/access point) and a higher end PC to run the apps. There are some additional software costs as well, but you could bring in a complete system for around $75,000 and be up and running quickly.

Pretty cheap to have a fully featured, expandable and pretty friendly system.

We have discussed this one before....but I will give a little insight..

I installed a wireless network and we began using Zoll (formerly Pinpoint) systems Tablet PCR. (My primary expertise-read job-- is in IT engineering--so designing and implementing a system for 3 units wasn't at all hard) We have been using it approximately 1.5 years and have had good luck with it. The system is rather pricey for the software--about $50,000.00US(we do not use the dispatching part--as we are dispatched through a city 911 system)

We run the software on the existing servers at the station, along with 3 wireless and bluetooth equipped Panasonic Toughbooks--with touch screen (approx $3000.00US) and they live in a hardened docking station--bolted in the tunnel of the Type 3 ambulances. We have bluetooth capable printers on each of the units (for printing a draft PCR to give to the hospital) which run for the shore power or inverter. Paperwork filing cost savings has been in the neighborhood of $10000.00US so far (and collections for billing has dramatically increased due to the speed we can now process claims and bill)

In terms of training, it took about 2 months to bring all the personnel on board with the 'new' process. The software can be tailored for almost any protocol--(this is what took us the longest). Aside from a few procedural problems in the beginning, we have all been VERY pleased in how easy and quick it is to do the process, get the patient info, detail an assesment, timestamp interventions, and have everything completed within 5 minutes after the call is completed. You can carry the toughbook anywhere--and it seems to hold up well to even Fireman abuse.

The hardware is the cheaper side of the solution, you could even get away with a simple wireless network (like a linksys router/access point) and a higher end PC to run the apps. There are some additional software costs as well, but you could bring in a complete system for around $75,000 and be up and running quickly.

Pretty cheap to have a fully featured, expandable and pretty friendly system.

One of the places I work uses the same system, it's nice and all that but I have found a number of issues where the software is lacking in assessment items, and under documentation, in short it's l LACKING and INADEQUATE, but with an upgrade and soem improvements it would be great. For example if it were to be integrated so we could see 'all' the dispatch info, and or also have a tie in with GPS, etc..... Just my .02, HLO..

ACE844

We have a Toughbook mounted in our supervisor vehicle. They have been running email, Verizon paging, and the county dispatching program. (Our dispatching in addition to radio, is also web based.)

Due to Nextel's desire to keep limiting our unlimited mobile internet, that is as far as we have gone.

Now, we have just gotten a bunch of laptops. They are not Toughbooks, but should work well enough. We are looking for the right locking mounts for them. We may just load Word on them, so crews can type their narratives. The plan is to have the PCR program loaded, but it is web based (Emstat). Back to the limited unlimited internet from Nextel.

A service near here has Emstat loaded on a laptop in their ambulance, no internet connection. The crew can type the chart on the way home (minimum of 1/2 travel time to hospitals), then upload the whole PCR, including state data fields. We hope to be doing the same soon.

• 3 weeks later...

we use ems sloutions, and it is getting the boot soon. I don't know what we are getting but our new thing is going to be fusing our MDC(The laptop in the front of the truck), our monitor(currently zoll), and our hammerhead so the medic is doing less copying and more assessment, Tx.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.