Bus Rollover

EMT001

I'd also like to see some busses/trucks for "storing" patients until transport (to keep them warm), and hopefully one for the responders who will be on-scene in the aforementioned cold weather for a long time.

I'd also like to see someone set up a way for responding abulances to enter the scene, load their patient(s), and leave in an efficient manner. That many ambulances coming in has a high potential for a complete cluster. A staging area for non-EMS vehicles (police, fire, command, etc) would help reduce confusion as well.

Buses are a good idea, they are on the way. What about the Red Cross? Would you like them on scene for food and warm drinks?

Someone mentioned setting up an efficient way to funnel transport units into and out of the scene without difficulty. The transportation officer (in the parking lot of the local mall) has a system that is working. He has a counterpart on the accident scene who radios him when treatment requests a rig. He sends the amount requested.

You are now working your way through the accident. The local PD is interviewing patients to see how the incident occured. You really haven't had time for this yourself, and assumed that the accident was simply a factor of the driver taking the turn too hard. One of the passengers mention that the driver had gone into the bathroom on the bus before they left, and, at the time of the accident, had passed out. An additional passenger also notes walking into the bathroom, smelling a strange odor, and he too feels like he is going to pass out. Slowly, but surely, numerous passengers begin showing symptoms of some kind of exposure to a foreign agent. You halt rescue operations in the bus and have all possibly infected personnel cordoned off, away from responders in the staging area who have not entered. The local Hazmat team, which already happens to be on scene, springs into action. No one called for them, but like all giant incidents the cavalry has come. They enter the bus and discover a suspicious package. What is you next move. You've already sent all of the P1 patients out and are in the process of removing the P2's.

(And no, this didn't actually happen. I had a boring shift the other day and tried to conjure up the worst incident I could imagine in my area.)

Remove all unnecessary personnel from the area, as quickly as possible.

Sounds like an inhalational agent, so everyone moves upwind, and gets oxygen

Better notify the receiving facilities to prepare for decontamination possibilities. Unlikely to need much, if this is inhalational, but have to be ready with the soap and scrub brushes

notify all receiveing facilities and ambulances with patients that there is the possibility of a chemical exposure and initiate decon procedures.

Then call the FBI, ATF and other law enforcement officials.

• 2 weeks later...