some advice

Hey guys,

I got this friend, we just finished out EMT practicum and he apparently failed his practicum because his preceptors were real jerks. He's trying to appeal it now to the school but I don't know how it will turn out. I know he would have passed other wise had he had a good preceptor. Has anyone had any experience with this. I'm from alberta by the way. ANyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated! ;)

yeah unfortunately he has to take the whole course all over again and it's quite expensive. The thing is the paramedic preceptor was a real jerk to him and the practicum's purpose was for him to show improvement which he did but they still failed him because I guess they didn't like him or something.

I'm not so sure that he would have been failed just because the preceptor didn't like him. Commonly they need to document a reason for failure. Something just doesn't sound right in this case. My guess is something might have happened that he hasn't told you about.

Shane

NREMT-P

I can't imagine any kind of exam that is simply pass/fail with no information on the reasons for failure. If he appeals it there should be some information forthcoming, and if there is not, taking the course from a different school sounds like a good plan. Good luck to your friend on this.

North

Sounds very much like an internship or preceptorship. And they typically require a documented reason for failure. More than just because the preceptor didn't like him. Still doesn't sound like we have the complete story yet.

Shane

NREMT-P

The thing is the paramedic preceptor was a real jerk to him and the practicum's purpose was for him to show improvement which he did but they still failed him because I guess they didn't like him or something.

Showing improvement is not a reason to pass someone on a preceptorship (practicum). If an intern starts the program with a poor performance, improves over time, yet at the end of the program the intern still doesn't cut it then I would & have failed them. Its not easy to fail someone after they have put in that much time and effort, but in the end its not about the intern its about the patients they would treat if I cut them loose.

I'm sorry for your friend but maybe re-taking the course would be a good thing for him.

Peace,

Marty

:joker: