Staying fit while working in EMS...

I started thinking today...

When I start working for a service after I finish my PCP education in the spring, I'll be fairly busy with work. Right now, I consider myself in very good shape, and I go to the gym fairly frequently (4-5 days a week). My concern is how to keep up an exercise routine while working full time in EMS. How do the rest of you guys (and girls) stay in shape? Do you only work out on your days off? Is it easy to work out before or after a 12-hour shift? (I can't imagine I'd be motivated to work out after 12 hours...).

Sure, I could use my off days to go to the gym, but it's a bit of a pain if I end up getting say, 4 days off in a row... I mean, it's nice to take a break in between workout days sometimes! I think that's kind of the "wekend warrior" effect-- people who get no exercise throughout the week, and take two days to do strenuous activity (and get injured in the process!).

So, what are your thoughts on how I can stay fit (and sane) while working?

MedicDude, you should not have a problem. I work three to four twelve hour shifts a week and manage to work out 5-6 times a week. I work nights, (7-7) so I find it is best to work out first thing in the morning after getting off or shortly after waking up in the afternoon. I find working out actually makes me feel better and I look forward to going out for a run or to the gym while I am working.

Take care,

chbare.

I know it depends on where you work and how busy the service is, but I'm able to workout during our office hours. We have 24 hour shifts which include at least four consecutive hours in the office. My partner and I go to the gym for one of those hours a day. Our employer doesn't mind because we need to be in shape for our job. It works out really well. Even if you can't work out during your shift, you should be able to find time, I think a lot of it becomes about keeping motivated.

I'd just like to applaud those of you who make the effort.

I've got a few partners who could take a lesson from you (one of them is so obese that he's out of breath just climbing into the driver's seat).

On a similar topic, do any of your employers/services provide fitness equipment or gym memberships? I've heard of it, but not within EMS.

Good question!

Working out before work indeed becomes a challenge. You figure you have to wake up 1½ to 2 hours before work on a normal day. If you are going to work out, that becomes 4 hours before shift that you have to wake up. Factor in getting off work late, travelling home, running errands, and the rest of real life and that means less than 6 to 8 hours sleep, which can do you more harm than the workout does good. It's a Catch 22. Plus, who wants to go to bed all sweaty?

All that said, I do agree that it is much easier to motivate a pre-shift workout than a post-shift workout. And, as you probably know, once you are into the routine, it is actually pretty easy to git 'er done. It becomes habit, just like brushing your teeth or buckling your seatbelt. But if you try to do it post-shift, it becomes really easy to say "aw man, that was a bad shift" or "I have too much to do today" and blow it off. For that reason, I prefer the pre-shift workouts. That way, you always do it at the same time each day, stabilising your routine, whereas with post-shift workouts, it is going to vary with the time you get off.

Of course, you're kinda screwed in Ontario where they work those idiotic, asinine, irregularly rotating shifts that nobody else in the world works, and that should be illegal. Consequently, you are going to face greater challenges in maintaining a routine than somebody with a regular schedule. I just hope you belong to a 24 hour gym. :?

Ideally, your employer or the police or fire departments would provide you with a workout facility that you can access at any time of day or night so you can hit it immediately after work without having to travel across town.

Alternatively, if you are well experienced and disciplined in exercise science, then the home gym is a viable alternative. It should be noted that over ninety percent of all home exercise equipment never sees a drop of sweat and just collects dust in a corner of the garage. That means that nine times out of ten, it is a total waste of money because people cannot motivate themselves (always thinking, "I'll do it later."), and/or don't have the knowledge to utilise it with any degree of competence. But, if you are the exception to the rule, it really doesn't take much to get in a great workout at home. Run, with or without a treadmill or StairMaster. Press a barbell. Lift and curl a small collection of dumbbells. Pushups, pullups and crunches. Stretches. Unless you are a competition level bodybuilder, there is nothing wrong with a home workout, if you stay disciplined and work smart.

That brings us to the two most important factors to any workout program; discipline and knowledge. Consult a trainer, or at least do some extensive reading research on exercise physiology so that you are doing the right exercises, the right way, in right sequence, the right amount of time. That assures that you actually achieve some results, which is of paramount importance in maintaining your discipline and motivation. Without that, your program will fail, whether at the gym or at home.

You will get fat with a huge ass just like the rest of us. There is no alternative. You will do so much overtime that when you get off you'll go straight to bed, and all your days off are spent recovering form the previous shifts. Kiss your physical and mental health goodbye.

It all comes down to motivation and making it habit.

I've been into bodybuilding since highschool. I don't think I'll ever see a stage for it but "I'm bigger then the average bear" (for those yogi bear fans LOL).

I found it very hard to keep training when I first started working. After a while the new of the job wears off and you begin to have things in your personal life go back to normal personal life things. I started finding ways to incorporate bodybuilding back into my life. I do train in the mornings before shifts like a few other have stated. The other part is eatting right and for me that means LOTS! I'm the partner that brings more food to work then we have equipment in the trauma bag LOL. You can find different meals that don't spoil, or if you're stationed at one specific base pre-cook things on a day off and bring it in. Working out is only half the battle, it's eatting right on the road that will make a huge difference. Also if you don't drink a lot of water start. I found once I started drinking about 15-20 glasses a day I felt more awake and lively.

It takes a while to find ways to brings things back to normal as can be, but if you keep motivation you'll find ways.

BTW I do on-call 12 hours shifts after my on-site 12 hours and still manage to make it work. Work is not a priority when I'm at home until the second that pager goes off. I go along like it's not there. Some of my partners sleep in uniform or sleep on the couch in the base during on-call, and I still end up making it to the ambulance quicker or the same time (takes time to get pissed off at the pager I guess LOL).

But if you try to do it post-shift, it becomes really easy to say "aw man, that was a bad shift" or "I have too much to do today" and blow it off. For that reason, I prefer the pre-shift workouts. That way, you always do it at the same time each day, stabilising your routine, whereas with post-shift workouts, it is going to vary with the time you get off.

Hmm, good point!

Of course, you're kinda screwed in Ontario where they work those idiotic, asinine, irregularly rotating shifts that nobody else in the world works, and that should be illegal. Consequently, you are going to face greater challenges in maintaining a routine than somebody with a regular schedule. I just hope you belong to a 24 hour gym. :?

Also another good point! Though I hear that many services are going back to the straight days or nights, with 4 on, 4 off, like the rest of the world.... I can only hope!

Ideally, your employer or the police or fire departments would provide you with a workout facility that you can access at any time of day or night so you can hit it immediately after work without having to travel across town.

Mmm, luxury! Though I imagine I'll be working for a smaller, semi-rural service that might not have these facilities available...

As it stands now, I'm not one of those people who likes getting up really early and going to the gym. For some reason, I always work out best in the evening... Ah well, I guess I'll just have to find whatever works best for me. The home exercise equipment is an idea, but I really despise the quality of those so-called "home gyms". Then again, I don't think anyone would object to me carrying some dumbbells to the station at the start of my shift. Hmm, using the 35-A as a makeshift weight bench? Could work...

I'm not really really concerned, since my preceptor for example has been working for this service for 20 years and is in great shape (think, Ah-nuld lookalike), and if he can do it, surely I can. I just don't want to be one of those guys who gets winded getting off the couch! 8)

I work a crap load and I don't have a problem working out. It all depends on how badly you want to stay in shape. I don't buy the "I don't have time" excuse. Like I said...I have almost zero free time. I work for two departments, teach EMT school and have child activities. In addition, I work lots of extra days. I still find time. It's an obsession to me....I have to do it. It clears my mind and makes me feel good. I run about 5-6 miles in the evenings when I'm not working. If I'm at work...I walk or run outside by the station. We have a weight room at work and I work out there when I'm at work with free weights, the bike, stair-stepper, etc. Once a week, I do cardio-kickboxing classes and I do Tae Bo at home as well. I fit in swimming here and there during the summer or at the gym when I have free time.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that it keeps me healthy, strong, sharp and ready for anything. Plus, it makes me feel good, is good for the ticker, and I'm never gotten ambulance ass...(thank God). It's not for everyone...and I certainly won't knock anyone who doesn't work out. However, I'm a believer in...if there's a will...there's a way....

Plus...nothing feels better than to work your hiney off in a good workout, and to take a long shower...(if the EMS gods allow) and then to relax. It makes you feel like you could move a mountain.

PS..I used to HATE exercise. Now, I get cranky without it... :roll:

Lots of luck in your goals...

xoxo

Luv, 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.