PCP to ACP with no experience

BEorP, if I read your post correctly, is it safe to presume you're in the U of T/Centennial program? If so ... could you PM with details about if you liked it, worth it etc etc, I've yet to meet a grad of that program.

As far as your question, quite honestly I would say go straight to ACP. Don't cut yourself short. However, you have brought up a valid point. I don't think many services would be comfortable hiring a new ACP graduate who has never worked in ambulance before. That being said, what I can see plausible is to get yourself hired with a service, and while working part time as a PCP, goto ACP school and when it comes time for clinicals/rideouts, associate them with the service you're employed with.

Quite honestly, if you're going to be a lousy medic, you'd be weeded out during your probationary period as a PCP anyways, so the thought of a bad PCP becoming a bad ACP is pretty moot there.

Northernmedic, I agree whole-heartedly.

peace

Oh and yes, about the flight stuff...

Alright, if you want to get to CCP, go FLIGHT! Pretty simple, you pay for your PCP aeromed course through the Ontario Air Ambulance program. Its around 500$ and is the simplest course in the world. Write your exam, and you're now able to work flight as a PCP.

This is where it gets fun. If you're willing to relocate, (and I mean, WAY far away) then apply to the air ambulance services in the province. If you can get on with a ministry funded program, you'll probably be stuck way way way up north in moosonee on a plane. This equates to no scene calls, but, you do get to work (generally) with a CCP doing pretty decent transfers.

However, they will now pay for your ACP training. Once you get your ACP training, they will pay for your CCP training. And because they're short staffed right now, generally the wait is only a year (or LESS!) between levels. Once your ACP, it gives you a bit more in mobility, and I would highly recommend trying to transfer to Canadian Helicopters so you can start doing scene calls on the whirlie birds :lol:

peace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.