Sorry, just need to vent tonight

In this business, it is very easy to be "touched" by the circumstances in which we find ourselves in dealing with those we are called upon to serve. In the end, someone's world is not such a nice place without them, and that saddens them and makes them cry.

But who cries for us? We cry for each other and sometimes ourselves. I don't mean to sound callous, but it is ther nature of the beast we do battle with every shift we work. I've felt it; we all have and will continue to do so everyday the tones go off and we race out there to those tones. Allow me to add my shoulder if one of own needs it. I know it will be there should I need it. Sorry you had a shift go that way, but I'm glad that you chose this forum to vent, debrief, and let it out. Thank you for counting us worthy to share it with you.

We are here for ya,

There will be calls that come back when you least expect them, the smells the screms and what ever else comes along.

Please rest assured there are others that have been thru the same.

I responded on my partner after a shift, who was going home and killed in a car wreck down the road from the station.

I had dinner with a police officer who was killed a few hours later in the line of duty.

We see mans inhumanity to man every day...

We pick up the pieces and go on.... it's what we do...... it's who we are

I have big shoulders and will cry with you....

Two simple words to you all. Thank You. I don't really have that many people outside of EMS that understand my job that care to hear about how my day went or what happened. When I am down after a really bad shift, such as the other day, people just tell me snap out of it. Had a much better day today. Went and spent the day with my horses, and saw a new life come into the world with one of them having it's baby last night. Kinda made me smile. I have already decided to name that foal (which was a girl) Ebnit (was the little girl's last name). It fits her too, she's cute as a button. Maybe corny I know, but in a way it won't let me forget and keep encouraging me to go forward on tough days. Thanks for letting me vent to you all. Stay safe out there.

You will not find anybody outside the bubble we live in unless they are Police, Fire, EMS, Military that could undeerstand even if they try. With the exception of those who have lost someone for standing in harm's way, it is very difficult for others to understand. Just remember why we do this.

For every sad ending and tough situation, there is a beautiful birth, life or beginning. You have found yours in the little foal. No, she may not be in human form, but she has become the focal point for your healing. You did a good thing yesterday. It's not corny at all. You have chosen to deal with grief in your own way. Such is the world of EMS.

You're going to be fine fire_911 medic. I can tell in the positive way that you are speaking by already stating something along the lines of, "it won't let me forget, but will keep encouraging me to go forward on tough days." It will be a reminder of your sad day, but it will also be a symbolic-sort of reminder of the strength you also found, that day.

Glad you felt you could come to us....please know it doesn't stop with this one.

Always here for you....

xoxoxo :wink:

I have been in the field almost 20 years. The day it stops bothering you is the day it is time to reconsider what you do in life. It never really gets easier, but it confirms that you are still human and still care...never lose that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.