How do I prepare for Paramedic school?

(you ride a tricycle before a bicycle)

~Ambo

Even simpler for your heart-valves analogy ... I learnt it as:

You always TRY something before you BUY something. (tricuspid before bicuspid) Tri before bi.

peace

Relax and enjoy it, clear your plate so that you can spend a lot of time reading your books, paying attention in class, and taking advantage of the clinical time.

Oooh! The force is strong in this one!

The fact that you just typed a coherent paragraph, complete with punctuation, capitalisation, and proper spelling is a very positive factor in your favour. And yes, I am being quite serious. Not only does it demonstrate literacy, but it clearly demonstrates that you took your high school education at least half-way serious and that you recognise the importance of clear and intelligent communications. You will probably be an exception within your class. :thumbright:

Both of the above pieces of advice are excellent, and really cover the question quite well. Do remember that studying a topic is not the same as simply memorising facts and terms. It is more important that you actually understand concepts. You can't pass the NR exam just memorising protocols and drug names. You have to clearly understand physiological functions and pharmacological actions in order to make intelligent clinical judgements. Consequently, Lithium's advice is spot on. Spend at least as much time understanding organ functions and physiology as you do simply memorising anatomy. And I hope you are planning to take formal A&P courses, and not simply read the book and hope for osmosis. That one effort will put you WAY ahead of your peers.

Don't waste any time at all trying to learn EKG's or IV's or Intubations or any other monkey skill ahead of time. They are simple and given more than adequate time and attention in class. Getting ahead of yourself skill-wise offers you zero benefit in the long run. Concentrate on theory. That is where medics are made or broken. That is what fails students out of class.

Best of luck!

Dust...baby....you misspelled capitalization...and recognize...and memorizing! (Unless you have decided you have a thing against z's...I'm sure you have an explanation for why you were consistent with this change.) LMFAO!!! That's your minus 5 I think....but I'm gonna add five (+5) back on for you because as careful as you normally are, I say you are allowed to misspell a word here and there.

Anyway...What Dust said....is right on!! I agree 100%, and will add in, prepare yourself for not having much of a life during school. It's important that you understand that this has to come first, ALWAYS. Study, Study, Study....and make sure your family, friends and loved-ones know that you will not be able to give much of yourself to them, and that it's not personal. Explain to them what they should expect, so that when you are scarce, they will not think you have changed or become arrogant and no longer have time for them. Some people will not get this or understand this no matter how much you tell them, but explaining up-front DOES help.

Good luck...we're here if you need us!!!

xoxo

Dust...baby....you misspelled capitalization...and recognize...and memorizing! (Unless you have decided you have a thing against z's...I'm sure you have an explanation for why you were consistent with this change.)

The explanation is that you are utilising an AMERICAN spell checker. I am using an ENGLISH spell checker.

My spell checker says everything was spelled correctly except for "oooh!" :D

Like I said.....I knew you had a good reason...just as I suspected.... :D That's why I gave your five points back that they took away! :wink:

xoxo

luv, 8

Yep...figured Dust was the classy type using the "English" spell check. My Grandma was from Oxford England and also refused to use Z's... LOL