Bragging

Agreed, look for the school that brags about those still working in the EMS field. A school that will state we not only have a respectable pass rate we turn out good EMT's is one you should pay more attention to.

I attended schools for both my EMT-I and EMT-P and am having success in earning the respect of my peers.

As for a Fire Dept that will throw fertilizer on a mistake I have a bit of resentment for the insinuation. I am a full time FF/PMDC/HazMat Tech/ training to be an Engineer. We take a great deal of pride in how much we train our people in EMS. We keep our skills current and are among the most respected Fire Depts in the region. Try not to group us all into the good ole' boy club with no accountability. We hold ourselves accountable.

Anyway, the education you receive is the foundation upon which you will become a good or great EMT. Know that when you graduate and pass your tests you have been certified to the minimum basic standards that are required to operate as an EMT. You are not an expert or realistically proficient in the field yet. Be a bit humble when you enter the workforce and look for more than one mentor with some common sense. Even those with years of experience are still learning (if they are smart) and will hold different points of view on the same subjects.

Good luck!

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Well as we are winding down and preparing to take our final tests and begin preparing for our practicals, I must say that things mellowed out. I've really enjoyed my time in this class, I've learned alot, coming from knowing nothing, and I feel confident in everything I've been taught so far. The instructors were great, they aimed to make you know yourstuff but would quickly shoot you down if you messed up or suffered from a big ego. Keeping everyone grounded in the class about expectations and having us ride more than what was required and in some cases we rode more than expected with local services.

Look forward to getting my numbers and hopefully moving to paramedic school sometime next year :)

Also, sorry to raise a dead topic :lol: