Actually..

Thank you again for all of your suggestions.

Although I will be residing in NorCal, my intention is to move more towards the Bay Area for work as soon as I have my certificate. I think that is the best strategy, since there are basically no jobs for EMT-Bs up there -- I have been checking every possible local newspaper job classifieds and have been able to find ZERO job openings in the past two weeks. I have also been writing some of the EMS agencies who have job listings around the Bay Area and asking them for advice as well.. along the same stuff I've been asking you, if the commitment is ultimately worth the competition. Like most EMS persons I've talked with, they all say they are bias, love what they do, and would recommend ride-alongs as a sure way of telling if I'm cut out for it.

The EMT-B course at CCSF is only about two hundred dollars, and I don't see that as too much of a commitment ... even if everything goes wrong and I don't get one single job offer. But ultimately, I think that I want to invest into the Paramedic Academy; the one I'm looking at does not require the pre-reqs that you have stated -- but it is accredited and seems as intensive as the rest...

http://www.sonic.net/srtc/emc/Paramedic%20Flyer.htm

But that is all in the eye of the rookie, so please let me know what you think.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I'm actually a Biology major. Sorry for the bad keyboarding skills, I usually post at sites like these without much thought about people criticizing my skills as a writer. Hehe. No offence taken. And actually, right now I'm serving in the Peace Corps in St. Lucia as a Health Ed volunteer. I know that when I get back I absolutely do not want a boring clinic/office job. I don't want to wait tables. I want to get started to be a part of something exciting. Another life experience. And not stupid.

AMR has a 6 month waiting list...they have the 911 contract in most parts. There's a smaller company in the East Bay that does 911, I've been told.

There are a few other transport services that are hiring. A friend recently started with one last month.

I'm not familiar with CCSF, but using the community college I took it in as a comparison, as a bio major EMTB should be a cakewalk. Here you could pass with an A without reading more than a chapter of your book by just listening in class and rarely taking notes (of course, you'll want to read the book anyway)...even it's stuff you haven't seen in your bio classes before (least that's how it was for me). Studying usually consisted of cramming 2-10 min before class skimming chapter summary page or as the test was passed out. Wish I could've afforded a more intense program, but that's all I could get.

Anthony -

I think that I'm not too worried about the book stuff, I've always been pretty successful with that. What I really want is the experience, the clincal/practical part. That is why I am considering just taking the one day 8hr/week course rather than the longer three day 15hr/wk course offered at CCSF. However, I do want to still check into the average pass rate for the NREMT exam for each of these classes. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to approach getting ride-alongs with the EMS companies? Is there some sort of shadowing/internship/mentorship program available? Or is it more of an informal process where you walk up/call and ask?

What would be GREAT is if anyone here on EMT city knows anyone in the Bay Area who is willing to let me shadow them...

For ride-alongs here, you can call up local agencies (AMR or Fire Departments), say you're an EMT student would like to ride-along. I only did tow ride-alongs for my EMT class, but I've been trying to keep doing them independently. They'll still treat you as a trainee, teaching you things, and allowing you help with patient treatment.