Allergic to antihistamines

I treated a co-worker who was really dehydrated. Put in 2 vials of MVI and started the IV. Ran the iv wide open and BAM WHAM hives, short of breath and full blown anaphyllaxis. Nearly coded and killed him. Needless to say you can be allergic to anything.

Suspect it was the dye in the MVI but never can be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently had a patient that reported an allergy to bennadryl. She said it made her "giddy or sometime itchy" but did not suggest any PMH of circulatory collapse.

We were called to a very rural location and with the extended transport time (down a particularly bumpy and winding country road) I decided to administer phenergan as an anti-emetic and sedative to allay nausea enroute.

Our protocols list a relative contraindication to phenergan as a known allergy to antihistamines. Is this a risk with those who have a bennadryl allergy? Are these folks allergic to the medication in IV/IM form or rather the dyes, suspensions, preservatives in the PO form?

I administered the phenergan at 25mg IM without any adverse reactions. Transport was uneventful and the patient benefited from the sedation effects that reduced her anxiety and pain level. A quick consult with the medical control doc agreed with the TX via radio patch.

Comments??

Thanks,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.