SOP - Guidlines etc

EmtJim

I'm not sure I have the time or energy to transcribe a 700-page operations manual... :cry:

Perhaps if you were to specify a few of the areas you're looking to revise? And what the standards currently are? First rule: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Second rule: "if it don't work, throw it out and replace it with something that does."

My suggestion is run away from any EMS that has a 700 pg. manual.... Obviously, they don't believe you can think on your own.

You probably don't want to know how big the regional ALS protocol manual is, then... :?

Keep in mind that this manual was written to cover just about any eventuality that the corporation could think of, including MCIs, DRT deployments, and so on. As a lowly Tech, I probably use maybe 8-10 pages' worth during any given shift, and most of that are specifics on paperwork and communications.

The question remains, though...if what I have on hand is "way too much," and what EmtJim has on hand is "way too little," where's the middle ground -- what gets the job done without putting too much bureaucratic overload on the field medics?

• 2 weeks later...

In our SOP's, the main rule to remember is;

WHEN THE EMS ADMINISTRATOR/CHIEF CROSSES YOUR PATH, YOU MUST GET ON YOUR KNEES AND BOW DOWN, ALL THE WHILE PROCLAIMING HOW UNWORTHY YOU ARE TO BE IN MY...OOPS...I MEAN HIS/HER PRESENCE.

On a serious note...

"n5iln" had a good point...although our protocols are nowhere near as "heavy" as his/hers are, there are way too many to list, and I'd not know where to begin.

Here's a link to an agency that nearly mirrors ours though. We don't have ours online.

http://rescue1.org/ops/default.asp (Their Standard Operating Guidlines page is under construction, but the other pages listed are very informational. This agency is top-notch...AND they're volunteers.)

The hospital writes our EMS protocols, so we have little input in our system in regards to patient care or training (minimums- but we have raised or standards to include additional certifications). Are you looking for general operating procedures outside of the patient care requirements? If so we would need to know alot about your company and the direction it is headed. Are you paid or volunteer, private, municipal, hospital or fire based, are you all ALS or combination ALS/BLS, chase trucks or ambulance only, 911 or transfer, who dispatches you? ETC. There are far too many questions to answer just on the business/employment side for us to be of much help, much less on the operational side. If there were specific areas to address, then please narrow it down for us.

OH! Wait a second...

Is he asking for input on rewriting his agency's SOP's...or is he just curious how ours compares to his? If he's looking for suggestions, then I hope he packs a lunch! This is gonna take a while. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.