External defibrillators breathe new life into CPR

Do you?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• undecided
    • Disagree that AED's should be available to the public
    • Agree that AED's should be available to the public

Yep. Universal Forest Products had a save at one of thier mills in about 2000 and much of the milling industry got wind of it and bought them in the US over the next few years.

Alberta doesn't require a person to have med control or formal training to be able to use AEDs. We are really pushing for greater public access to defibrillation. I have attended at three different companies this month to present AED provider courses, and each place had already obtained AEDs ( two Cardiac Science and one Phillips). The ABCs of first aid should have the D attached for Defibrillation.

Since their arrival in public places, I feel a better sense of safety around me.

I had the opportunity to briefly play with a Cardiac Science AED a few months ago that was on loan to the FD to check out. I kind of liked it. Not as much as the Philips, but definitely better than the Lifepak or Zoll. I am still solidly behind Philips as the very best on the market, especially for PAD/non-professional rescuers. Have you had the opportunity to compare the Cardiac Science and the Philips side by side? I think I could learn to love the Cardiac Science model with a little more exposure.

What made you like one over the other? Voice explanations? Design of diagrams? Color coding?

The main reason is that Philips is absolutely the simplest to operate, hands down. Colour coding and diagrams are necessary on other AED's because they are poorly laid out, and only complicate operation. Philips has the easiest control layout. So easy that it doesn't need diagrams or colour codes. Clearest prompts, bar none. Voice prompts are also repeated on the screen readout, so you're covered in a high-noise or hearing impaired situation. Smaller, lighter, and tougher case than the others. Biphasic operation. They were the first with pædi pads. They were the first with "code summary" memory cards. They are completely software upgradeable, so new AHA guidelines don't make them obsolete like some just became. Software is custom programmable for local protocols and/or paramedic override. They're the only one that can add an EKG screen to the basic package for next to no extra expense. It just can't be beat. Cardiac Science appears to be the closest, but again, I haven't had enough experience with it to make a final determination.

I have experience with the Phillips and think it is pretty good. IT is what we carry on our ambulances and it is what we have in the building I work in. Our building bought about 10 or 12 of the Phillips. They are in alarmed cases on the walls. They have contacted a company yo come in and teacher CPR/AED classes and come back yearly to re-certify.

I think it is great to put them in as many places as possible. Hell, I saw an add for them on TV the other night.

Sarge, out

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.