BlackBerry, Spanish language and EMS workers

OK, I'll go straight to the point and not try to pretend I'm a fireman. I am far from it (but on a side note I am glad you guys exist and thank you for doing what you do; first, my house has once been hit by a lighting - and I was inside; second I've had EMS come to home a few times because of my son and then for my wife; in all times I can only say good things of what I've seen....but that is way off topic, sorry!).

So I am not a fireman, but a member of BEIKS, developer for mobile applications and solutions.

We just released - or are just about to release - a BlackBerry talking English-Spanish translator for EMS workers and I am now humbly begging for some general feedback from the pros. I don't ask you to buy what we did, I ask you to tell me what you see in it.

We created it after a request from a friend and have no darn clue if it will be actually useful in a wider range, whether there's money in it etc. etc.

It just looked like a reasonable request from a good friend, so we said what the heck and spend some time and money developing it.

I will now greatly appreciate any of the professional EMS workers feedback on both the general concept - did you ever need an English-Spanish dictionary handy - and if, by chance, you use a BlackBerry, do you like this particular implementation.

I can't go over my head with promises, but we are a very compact and friendly company and usually try our best to reward those who help us...read free unlock codes, free apps etc. stuff.

With that, here's the URL:

http://blackberry.beiks.com/showprod.asp?prodid=753

- MK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

will it be able to use/detect slang? Some words in Spanish could mean something totally different then what they are supposed to mean. Think in english, "cool" meaning awesome, versus being cold. Vocabulary, especially coming to body parts,can contain alot of slang...

Secondly, it is very easy to mispronounce some Spanish words, and when mispronounced, can mean something entirley different.

Usually, if your PT speaks Spanish, your probably in a spanish speaking area, and a bystadner, or partner could translate.

Don't get me wrong, go for it and see what you can develop, but know that there are some obstacles.

Also, too, I am not a pro, still just a student in training, but those are my thoughts. Once i get certified and start working, there would be little drive for me to purchase your software....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.