Dropping out of school

I am currently in a paramedic technology program at Penn Tech. I will have my EMT-B certs in May, as I have a very good understanding of the material and terrific grades. I do much better in skills/written testing than my fellow students who are already EMT's (I never even took a BP until January). I have a degree in humanities already. I got into EMS because it was something that I always knew I should do because I have nearly unlimited empathy and compassion for people, as well as a very good understanding of technical subjects.

Here is my conundrum. I feel sort of wasted here at school. I don't need my hand to be held nearly as much as it is here going through pt. assessments and such. I barely pick up my books and am able to get nothing less than a 90% on any test given to me. A friend of mine is able to get me a job back at home and completely pay for my medic school once I get my certs here. I know that it would be ridiculous not to sign up for a contract to work in a system and not get my medic school paid for. I could do that up here, but I HATE this town with a passion. Also, I just can't rationalize paying $12k a year to go here. I'm not from a well-off family, and $20k+ is a very large chunk of money to me.

Problem: I won't get my associates if I go to medic school through Nova EMS, but I will here. What exactly is that worth in the real world? I would like a chance for advancement in this field, but I don't want to be pushing papers either.

That's certainly a valid dilemma. I guess I have two major considerations for you:

1. Which school is better? Which school is longer (EMS subject contact hours, not calendar length or semester hours)? Which school has better clinical facilities? Which school has better internship facilities? Ideally, the BEST education should be your primary concern, taking precedence over financial concerns or expediency.

2. Should the Nova school be the better choice, don't sweat the degree thing. With your current degree and a paramedic certification, you are only two semesters away from an EMS AAS down the line. And yes, it does make a difference in how good a medic you are to have formal Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, and Microbiology courses, which your humanities degree probably did not cover. And there are an increasing number of states that will not let new medics register without those courses, even with another degree. But it is very easy to go back and get all that done part time in a couple of semesters while you are already working as a medic.

It really sounds like a great offer, so long as the Nova school is quality and not a wham-bam patch factory. Good luck!