Minimum lifting/Carrying requirements

Jake,

I have worked as a dispatcher before, that is really how I began my career in EMS. I loved dispatching, the crews have asked me to try and go back to it for several years, I guess I excelled at it.... :| :? .There just aren't any openings right now in the near by towns, unless I want to dispatch for PD (gasp). :shock: The thing I loved even more was teaching on a regular basis. I feel the greatest thing next to being there in the field is to help equip the newbie's with the information and knowledge to get them out doing the same. The reason I am not teaching right now is that the company that I was working for sold to another EMS owner that already had an instructor. There are so many opportunities out there to teach, just not in the area I live in. It is very competative in this area, and most companies here don't have a full time instructor. In fact the company I was working for, I began as a field medic/in-house instructor. Only after I was injured did I become the full time in-house. I really do appreciate your guys ideas and support. EMS is a wonder community. Right now I just want to work, doing anything to feel like a productive member of society... 8) :oops: This has been the hardest thing for me. I was working for 3 different companies 24 hour shifts (usually 5-6 days a week) when I got injured, going from that to nothing has been mind boggling.

n5iln,

I agree that many back injuries have lead to a standard being set throughout the US. I also agree that counting on FD is risky, even a back-up EMS unit to respond. You never know what situation you are going to get yourself into and if anyone will be available. Unfortunately because of the lack of lift help a few people I know have gotten hurt because they had a red (critical) patient that needed immediate transport and didn't have anyone to help them.

Anyways, again, everyone thank you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid,

I spoke with WC this morning, they are unsure of what limitations the Dr. will put me on. We spoke about re-education benefits and she is going to look further into it.

Funny thing, I was released yesterday, got my first call this morning to return to a PRN position as an ACLS instructor for a local college. Of course this is a once in a 4-6 month gig, but it's teaching and it pays well. So I am keeping a positive attitude and I will be actually working next week... Hooray!!!!!!!!

I have been hesitant, as I have said before, getting a lawyer involved, but I am keeping my options open about contacting one. If they determine that I will not qualify for re-education, I will probably seek council.

I will keep you informed of the progress.

Another positive note, I am now free to go back to SCUBA Diving, another passion of mine....Of course my husband will be carrying a lot of equipment LOL , but now I can do it....Just in time for summer....

Diver....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.