Paramedic Students Unite!

T.summerville, Welcome!

You know I was going to go to AMR's 5 month program...and then Dust did this same thing to me! Now I'll have 2 1/2 years invested instead..Assuming I don't get hit by a bus or the like I should start medic school in Jan.

A couple of things I've noticed...for what they are worth..

At first it seemed like a great decision...Then I cussed Dust all the way through biochem...yep..everyday I sent him evil thoughts...not quite as bad in psychology, anatomy and physiology..(just finishing first semester) I like him again..they are way cool...(sociology :pottytrain5: )But I did find that of the other students going to medic school I am the only one taking this route! I thought hell...I could have been working 18 months ago, who's even going to notice a degree?!? The other students going on to medic think it just amazingly funny I have taken "unnecessary" classes.

But you know what? I was whining this line of crap to becksdad, and he told me that he noticed (He's way smart if you haven't noticed yet), and Dust said he noticed, and Asys...etc..etc..

Everyone here that I respect, gives me respect, that I have done nothing to earn besides have a different attitude toward the field they love and protect.

Someday, if I don't bonehead it, I'll be a medic...and I want to spend my day with respect from these kinds of people. For me, that is the deal breaker on the 5-7 month course.

I don't know if that helps or not...I don't even know if it makes sense..I always wish I could take these thoughts and give them to someone that could express them with some level of intelligence...

I just know this is what keeps me up studying when it's long passed bedtime...

Good luck! Happy to have you at the City!

Dwayne

• 6 months later...

I am currently in Paramedic School as well. I will try to make this as simple and painless as possible... lol.

Length: October 2006 - December 2007

Here's what we have done so far:

A&P portion (10/2006 - 12/2006), Pharamacology, Venous Access and Med Admin, Airway Management and Ventilation, Patient Assessment, Rescue Awareness (which included a full day, 8 am - 5 pm, of car extrication in full turnout gear with wrecked cars, rescue tools, patients in the cars, ambulances, rescue truck, etc to run full scenarios... it was a lot of fun and good training), Hemorrhage and shock, Burns, Spinal Trauma,

Helicopter Safety Training... UNC AirCare landed in our campus parking lot and we learned how to set up a LZ, went over the helicopter, and practiced cold and hot loads... I will be doing a fly-along within the next few weeks with them.

Next we will be doing BTLS, Pulmonary, and Cardiology extensively.

We have already started clinicals. Overall we will have to do:

EMS Clinicals (304 hours total):

100 hours - Alamance County EMS

100 hours - Durham County EMS

100 hours - Forsyth County EMS

4 hours - CComm

Hospital Clinicals (200 hours total):

104 hours - Emergency Dept.

4 hours - Cath Lab

16 hours - CCU

24 hours - Respiratory

16 hours - Labor and Delivery

24 hours - Peds and NICU

4 hours - Dialysis Center

8 hours - OR

For our skills checklist, we have to do:

20 Medication Administrations

5 Tracheal Intubations

25 IVs

25 Venipuncture

20 Ventilations of unintubated patients (BVM)

30 Pediatric Assessments

50 Adult Assessments

30 Geriatric Assessments

25 EKG Interpretations

25 12-Lead Interpretations

5 Foley Caths

10 Obstetric Assessments

40 Trauma Assessments

20 Psychiatric Assessments

50 Team Leader Skills

Alright, so that is a rundown.... Clinicals are awesome so far and I've had some really good Preceptors lately. I hope everybody else has been having a good experience so far. Good luck and keep each other posted! :-) Just always remember that air goes in and out, and blood goes around and around.... Any variation to that is BAD!